Very odd email

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PotterWatch, Apr 28, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I got an email a little earlier this evening from someone with whom I had a falling out some months back. She had done something I didn't like and I called and told her so. She apologized and that was that. We have each other on facebook but haven't spoken in person since the argument. I am long since over the incident and am perfectly happy to chat with her but wasn't sure if she was totally ready to do the same so I've been hanging back and not calling or anything though I have commented more on her facebook page recently.

Anyway, the email I got this evening was basically that her youngest son told her that he saw me at Target recently when he was there with his Dad (her ex-husband), and that I had told his Dad that I was still mad at her. She went on to say that she is sorry I can't get over my anger and that I should have told her about it rather than let her find out from her child. Um... I haven't seen her youngest since the last time I watched her kids for her. I did see her oldest son and her ex a few weeks ago at a restaurant, but I didn't say anything more to her ex than "hi." I'm not still mad at her and even if I were, I would NEVER talk to her ex about it. I don't even like the guy; never did like him. I haven't even been in a Target for about 8 months as my husband and I made the decision to no longer shop there. I have no idea who her son saw, but it sure as heck wasn't me! Very strange...

2. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    So what is your plan?

Did you ask her who told her this? Such as the ex? OR, is she "testing" you and perhaps she contrived this to see how you would react?

(I ditch and run from these types of things unless it is a long standing friendship with the ability to work through "hiccups".)

3. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    She said that her youngest son is the one who told her about it (I think he is 7 now). I'm assuming that her son saw someone he thought was me and there must have been some conversation he overheard but I've no idea beyond that. I have been friends with her for about eight years and at one point she was my closest friend. I hope that the friendship can be salvaged but we will see, I guess. I did send a reply email in which I told her basically the same stuff I wrote in the original post of this thread. I've no idea what her response will be.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'd put her emails in the junk file. She's a drama queen who wants to stir up trouble when there is nothing brewing in the pot.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would explain to her that this incident never happened.

6. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Quote:Well done.

(This might be a good time to try the "block" feature.)

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I don't think tossing a friendship away because of a misunderstanding is a very mature thing to do. Friendships take effort on both sides. True friendships are the ones that survive the difficult times. So throwing it away is not the way to go IMHO.

Heather, I would explain to her that the incident did not happen the way it was related to her from her son.

8. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I did get a response from her this morning to the email I sent her last night. Her response was that she apologizes for misunderstanding her son and that she is glad she verified things with me (though in truth, her initial email wasn't to "verify" anything but to accuse me of still being angry with her, not coming to her about it, and talking to her ex-husband behind her back). To me, it was the kind of response that says she doesn't believe me. I have decided that I'm not going to email her back at this point. I told the truth and I am not going to try and convince her any further. If she believes that I would lie and talk behind her back to her ex-husband, then she doesn't know me as well as I thought she did.

9. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:The thing is Debi, the incident didn't happen at all. I have no idea why her son thinks he saw me and that I would have been talking to his Dad about anything. I haven't seen the son who told her about this in almost a year.

10. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Cant say that I blame you. People are going to believe what they want; if you've tried to clear up the misunderstanding by telling her that it didn't happen, that's about all you can do. You tried. And like you said, if she thought that's what you would have done, she must not know you.
    I say keep it cordial if your paths cross, but I wouldnt go out of my way to pursue the friendship with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by