1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very odd question but I'd just like to know.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by m496, Aug 20, 2011.

1. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    So, I am almost certain on getting a few (2-4ish) call ducks. Everything I've read about them says they are VERY loud. But I've never read about how far away you can hear them. So here's my question:

How far away can you here them? One acre? 50 feet? Anything in measurement would be welcome. Or just tell me about your experience at your home, when you start to hear them.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 acres. I would guess that everyone on either side of me can hear them. Probably everyone behind me. A few times they flew next door . They are the loudest of all my birds. Super loud. They almost bother me. Did I mention that they are loud?

3. I don't get the noise thing. I have calls - 6 of them - three pairs. I also have standard ducks. The calls are no where near as loud as the standards - nor do they "quack" as often. Maybe my calls are not the norm - not sure. I live on 9 acres. my nearest neighbors could easily hear the standards. No way do they her the calls. No way.

Joni

4. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks for the replies!

Joni, how close are your neighbors? Do you hear your ducks? How close are you to your ducks?

5. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    My mom was going to get a set of calls in the spring, but after checking them out at the ag fair desided a) she didn't like the sound they make compared to standard ducks and b) they are WAY to loud for her double lot in town. Sorry I can not answer your real question.

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    I am pretty sure Simon (my Shetland-Cheviot wether) is louder than my Call ducks. [​IMG] Speaking of which, it is raining right now, and the Calls are having a great time!

7. We live on 9 acres surrounded by a deep ravine and creek on three of the four sides and half of our land is woods that grow into the deep ravine. Our closest neighbors are just across the creek/ravine and to the other side of our property on a hilltop. In town or city terms maybe four blocks for one and 3 blocks for the other - at the very most. My standard ducks and geese free range so they can be right at the property line in some cases although they stay in our pasture and on our large lawn for the most part. they've never wandered off or away due to the natural boundaries created by the ravine and woods. I hope I'm not jinxing myself but in 4.5 years of having them - I've had no complaints. When my neighbors are out and about I can hear their dogs and voices without any trouble. Keep in mind noise follows a creek - we can hear horses, dogs and cattle that are at least 3/4 of a mile away. Noise travels. In the past I've had peafowl - they can be really noisy. Again, no complaints unless you count those of my family. [​IMG]

Do you want to keeps ducks as pets or to raise? My little male call ducks are darling and barely make a whisper. I love them! As mentioned before - I've often wondered why mine seem to be a more quite version. Maybe color has something to do with it? I love the Whites and have only kept them so I can only wonder if some of the other color varieties maybe a little louder. Not sure. Maybe noise has been bred into or out of some color varieties...depending upon the genetics involved.

Joni

Edited to add: I do not let my calls free range. I worry about them because they are so very tiny. they spend the majority of their time in
    My barn which has a sunroof type thing and is open on both sides and secured and locked up at night.
    That being said - when my barn is open and I'm on my porch - I can not hear them. My barn is maybe 1/2 a block from my front porch. I can not hear any of my ducks when I'm in our home. I can hear my standards if I step out on my porch no matter where they are on the property. They like their dinner and when I arrive home form work each evening they let me know they're ready to go in, have dinner, and hit the hay.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  8. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks so much for all the input!!

Well, I plan to have a couple of calls on grass 24/7 in a covered, predator-free, portable outside coop with a small shelter. Do you think calls that are on grass all the time and more busy than calls not on grass would be quieter? One other question, if I'm not going to get calls, I'm also interested in mallards and black east indies. I've heard they are pretty loud too?

9. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Well as soon as I step out the back door both my girls start yelling at me load and clear and their duck house is about 40 yards away, now I start hearing my drake when I reach my chicken house which is about 20 yards from the duck house other then that he is pretty much quite.

10. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm also very very interested in mini silver appleyards. I've heatlrd they aren't loud. Correct? I'm also interested in Aussie spots and heard they are quiet too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by