Very Odd

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by msheets, Jun 22, 2010.

1. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    I thought one of my duck eggs had died from what I saw candling, but I was wrong. It was also the one egg that I never saw rocking. Only maybe about 40-50% of the egg was shadowed & on top of that it was pretty much all on one side with little to no veining. It looked nothing like the others that had been rocking for days & are full of veins. I saw movement in there a few days ago so I knew it was pretty formed (they were due the 21st). I poked a hole in the large end of the egg so I wouldn't break the membrane just in case & when I put my finger against the membrane, it kicked back! I put a damp cloth around the hole & put it back, after checking on it a few minutes ago it is still alive. After the membrane got a little wet I could see the duckling was bigger than it looked & it does have some veining. What could be going on? Could it be deformed & small?

2. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    Did all your other eggs hatch? Were they all set at the same time? I don't know the answers to your questions, but it sounds like this one just wasn't or isn't ready to hatch for whatever reason. What's the latest?

3. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Well I believe they are muscovies based on their development, they're all (except this one) about equal & yes they were set the same day. So I think they need incubated 35 days rather than other breeds' 28 days.

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    You're right, they do need 35 instead of 28. Sometimes there are just late hatchers, and if it's alive then you can wait and see, I think. Maybe it will just make it out a day or two late!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by