Very Odd

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Poo On My Shoe's, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Poo On My Shoe's

Poo On My Shoe's Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Haddam, Ct
    I'll start this off as I think this story is pure coincidence but my wife and family think it isn't.

We went up to my moms house for some egg coloring and general Easter fun with the kids this morning. She lives within walking distance but we cannot see each others house, i'd say about an 1/8th mile. My chickens free range but have yet to leave the yard other than to go see the neighbors who feed them treats. My mom went outside to get something and came back in to say "Dirty White" (our white Rock who likes to go under the tractor and constantly has oil on her back) is here. No way! I go outside and sure enough its her. I bring her back home and after a bunch of searching I find all but 2 chickens. Then I find a whole bunch of feathers and realize we had an attack of some kind, either a fox or a hawk is my guess.

Sooooo, I think it's a pure coincidence Dirty White ended up at my moms in her attempt to get away but my family thinks she came to find us. It does seem a little weird because my mom has close neighbors on either side and she was right at my wifes car in her driveway. She was also alone which is very odd for her. What do you think?

2. Poo On My Shoe's

Dec 21, 2010
    Haddam, Ct
    I was just thinkin this should be in the behaviors area. I don't think i can move it so if a Mod. would like to please feel free.

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I hope she didn't ride over on your car, cats sometimes do that. Could she have been hiding under the car or is that impossible?

4. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    When I was a kid and loved to spend my time with the family chickens, after awhile they started to following me every where. Every time I went outside they would hear me and come running. I even had a goat that would follow me and it wasn't even mine, I would just give it treats.

So yes she could and possible would follow you so she would be safe, especially if threatened and separated from the others. If she had heard your voice or is used to the sound of your vehicle, then she could have easily followed you. Mine did.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    1/8th of a mile is not all that far. If she happened to hear your voices, I think it is possible that she may have come towards that security. Reinforce your defenses, the predator will return.

6. Poo On My Shoe's

Dec 21, 2010
    Haddam, Ct
    Quote:No way that could have happened, I had just let them out moments before we left. She would only have had literally seconds to hitch a ride.

7. Poo On My Shoe's

Dec 21, 2010
    Haddam, Ct
    Quote:Definitely not far at all, but we were all inside and she showed up about an hour after we did. She would not have herd us, but she is one of my favorites and she and her buddy follow me around everywhere I go. She will even be near me while I'm splitting wood and running the chain saw.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Poo On My Shoe's :

I'll start this off as I think this story is pure coincidence but my wife and family think it isn't.

We went up to my moms house for some egg coloring and general Easter fun with the kids this morning. She lives within walking distance but we cannot see each others house, i'd say about an 1/8th mile. My chickens free range but have yet to leave the yard other than to go see the neighbors who feed them treats. My mom went outside to get something and came back in to say "Dirty White" (our white Rock who likes to go under the tractor and constantly has oil on her back) is here. No way! I go outside and sure enough its her. I bring her back home and after a bunch of searching I find all but 2 chickens. Then I find a whole bunch of feathers and realize we had an attack of some kind, either a fox or a hawk is my guess.

Sooooo, I think it's a pure coincidence Dirty White ended up at my moms in her attempt to get away but my family thinks she came to find us. It does seem a little weird because my mom has close neighbors on either side and she was right at my wifes car in her driveway. She was also alone which is very odd for her. What do you think?

It's quite possible that a fox or dog could have carried her that far and then dropped her.​

9. Poo On My Shoe's

Dec 21, 2010
    Haddam, Ct
    She has no injuries at all, I checked her head to toe, although it could be a bird type dog that "mouthed" her. The pile of feathers was what was left of my Barred rooster, he was the only casualty. Whatever got him took him with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by