very old bff cochin standard. no eyes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sebright guy, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    we have a extremly old hen. about 3 years or a little more? she is one of our favorite chickens. last year she was outside for the summer. she would walk around the yard and we thought she mite be blind. we checked he a few days ago and it appears that she has no eyes? does this happen when a chicken get really old? she has been by her self for a long long time. so i dont now what it could be? anyone else have this?
    she is so old now that she gives us one egg a year. lol

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

How'd she go a year without you noticing she didn't have any eyes????

3. sebright guy

Apr 14, 2009
    i actually dont even now. its kind of hard to see her eyes anyways. around her eyes is gettin fatter as shes been getting old. its hard to see when your always looking down on her. we jst were checking everyone for lice and we picked her up and trim her beak and plucked some feathers and noticed her eyes were closed. and it doesnt look like thy will open. she is totally healthy for her age. it just seems strange.

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Are you sure her eyelids aren't swollen or something? I think we need an up close pic...

ETA: and 3 years really isn't that old.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  5. sebright guy

Apr 14, 2009
    oh sorry shes like 6 or 7 years old. we had her with our last crop then we took a break from the chickens for a bit and sold everything but her and her roosters. they have all passed already. il try and get a pic.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That sounds like there is some type of illness going on. I'm sure if she didn't have eyes, you would have noticed! [​IMG]

7. sebright guy

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

heres she is upclose. id appreciate some help. i hope its not a desease. everyone else is healthy as anything. she had a little bit of licebut its being taken care of. its all dead now.

[​IMG]

8. sebright guy

Apr 14, 2009
    she still acts normal walks around and stuff. she looks sick on that chair but her eyes are just always like that.

9. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    thats strange our neighbor's had a chicken with a missing eye that looked like that for some reason he put lime juice in it to clean it out I think it would burn

10. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It looks like her eyelids are swollen...maybe some kind of bacteria. I know Coryza can make them swell up like that. It is definitely NOT normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by