Very old cabinet type, looks to be usable.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SharkmanDan, Apr 1, 2015.

1. SharkmanDan

SharkmanDan Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not certain if this was a commercially made cabinet incubator, that has had some "Redneck Engineering" performed upon it, or if it was a fairly well made, home made cabinet incubator. But, I'm just not familiar with all of the parts, and don't know where to start.
    I got it home, as a gift, and first things first, the thing had to be de-bugged. It had ants and red wasps and spiders of all sorts in it. So, a thorough dousing with permethrin, and a couple of days to air out, before I even attempt to repair it, and I expect that to be a week long project. So, I don't think the permethrin, will be an issue for the eggs, by the time this thing is operational.
    This incubator, has been sitting outside, in all kinds of weather, for at least two years, likely much longer, from the looks of it. Supposedly, it was operational, just 2 years ago. I doubt that, but that's what I was told.
    I have electronics ability. I've been a ham radio guy for 25 years, but I'm not real "hands on", more of an appliance operator. I want things that just work. But, I'm poor, so reality forces me to fix things.
    The heater element is an open coiled wire, connected directly to 117VAC. NOT GOOD. The fan, looks like it's got a 50/50 shot of working. It's the thermostat, sensors and egg Turner mechanism, that have me stumped.
    Here are the initial photos. If anyone offering advice wants better photos, of something in particular, please let me know, and I'll get them. I need to incubate, but, I can't afford a real commercial incubator, so, I need to make this one work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    I would need better pics of the turner mechanisms, then I'm sure I could figure it out. The fan as you stated is 50/50. oil it, diesel or something if its stiff. As I'm sure you are aware, go through every electrical wire and specially connections. I wouldn't just assume oh that will work. Take them off clean them up sand them down. Put your hands on every piece and wire on it. The wafer thermostats are cheap to replace, many sites like incubator warehouse etc supply them. Personally after a few years I find them finicky. Since this ones been weathered real good I would just replace it. I'm no incubator repair man but a farmer so we tend to make things work and revive the dead LOL. Good luck! hope this helps as a start, anything other questions I will see what I can figure out for ya!

1 person likes this.
  3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    It looks like a 70s commercial incubator along the lines of a Leahy or Farm Master. The mechanicals look just like the 50s Farm Master I had, but that had the water pan up top.

It hasn't had too much redneck engineering done to it.

I think there is a vintage redwood incubator thread that should point you to everything you need to know.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by