1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

very pale comb and wattles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by swadle, Jan 15, 2015.

1. swadle

swadle Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I have a white Cochin bantam chicken who is around a year old. She has a very pale comb. She is skinny. She moves around and comes running when you call but she spends a bunch of time sleeping, I recently wormed her with 1/4 cc of Valbazen and then waited 10 days and gave her another 1/4 cc. She is also still laying does any one have any idea what could be wrong with her?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would consider treating her for lice and mites. They sell specialty powders for that in some stores, but Sevin dust works just as well and you get it in any home and garden store (lowe's, Home Depot, etc) I would also consider treating the whole flock. Just be sure to do it in a well ventilated area and wash your hands afterwards.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  3. swadle

May 24, 2011
    I checked her out and didn't see anything. I have some Y-Tex Gardstar Garden and Poultry Dust I got at a farm store that i spread under their bedding. Do I just sprinkle it all over her?

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I usually just take a small handful and dust it on the back and under the wings, but the poultry vet at my school prefers the "shake and bake" method which involves sticking the body in a bag withy the powder and only the head sticking out. Then shake gently until coated!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  5. swadle

May 24, 2011
    I might try your method first thanks for your help

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are a couple of supplements for poultry, Poultry Nutri-Drench and Poultry Cell that may be available in your feed store. They contain vitamins, minerals, and iron, which may help. It is more economical to give it by mouth to her, 1 ml daily given orally a little at a time. I would also suggest a once a week Probiotic in her water--Probios powder is very good. If you cannot see evidence of mites or lice, then it would not be necessary to treat her. However, if you see eggs or mite dirt, then powder her all over and rub it in. Give her some scrambled egg, chopped tuna, or some 24% gamebird feed to increase her, protein. Is she having diarrhea? Of course, if a vet is available you could take her in or have a sample of her droppings checked for coccidiosis, worms,or bacteria. The Valbazen should have taken care of any worms.

7. swadle

May 24, 2011
    I dusted her anyway. Her and her sister do not roost they sleep on the ground. Her sister cant fly or see well or something because she never roosts and so they both sleep together. I would think that they could get mites easier on the ground. I have Poultry Nutri-Drench and just ordered Probios powder. I have some quail food that I will give her. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by