1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

VERY pale comb, huddled/ruffled, rapid weight loss, tail down - Worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ICallMyselfCherie', Dec 8, 2011.

1. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, everybody. Well, I'm just having a grand time with my birds right now.

I now have a cockerel who is four-five months old and is in really bad shape. I noticed his comb was looking a little pale lately, but he seemed just fine otherwise and I didn't really think anything of it. He was in a cage with two other cockerels who he grew up with and gets along with, and I thought maybe his comb was paler because he was with other roos and they were dominant. Maybe that's silly, but I've seen hens grow spurs and try to crow when there are no roos around, so I figured maybe submissive roos who are around dominant roos start seeming a little, well, hen-ish. So I didn't worry about the pale comb. I feel so stupid now. [​IMG]

I went in for feeding a few days later and found him all huddled, feathers all ruffled, and tail down. I felt him and he felt too thin. I quarantined him, put a heater on him, dusted him with DE because I found mites on him, and gave him plenty of Start & Grow and water with ACV. He was eating and drinking really well, so I felt a little better. But a couple of days later, even with this support and his good appetite, he is rapidly losing weight. He is just skin and bones, and paler even than a young pullet should be, let alone a little roo. At this point, I am thinking worms. I haven't seen any in his poo (which is a little too watery, though, I think), and of course I am reluctant to try a wormer on an already weak and rapidly declining bird if I am not sure that's what he has. I've never wormed a bird before, so I really want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

I know I have to do something, or he's not going to make it. So -- I have some Wazine 17 on hand, but I know it is very specific in what it treats and which I hear is not too effective sometimes. On the other hand, I can wait until tomorrow and pick up some Ivermectine, which I know is more broad spectrum, but which I hear is also harsher on the bird's system.

If anybody could give me some advice at this point, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I would treat the flock for worms...

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Boy, you got a tuff one to solve here. Is the roo still in quaranteen w/ heat? Have you tried fresh goodies like bananas/yogurt/spinach/mealworms [high energy foods]? That might help. I think you should worm all too and go ahead and use Wazine. Try to get him to eat, lots of TLC always seems to help....Good luck....[​IMG]

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Dust them, treat for worms, and treat for Cocci with Corid. ASAP.

5. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Reread your post...............IF he had a bad case of mites/lice that alone can cause the sypmtoms. The best stuff to use for that is FRONTLINE PLUS in the 23-44lb dog size. Put it in a syringe [no needle] and put one drop under a wing OR near the vent. repeat every 30 days. Works SO good. In the mean time DE will help.
    Wazine is administered in the water so everyone can get it.

6. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Hi Cari, Ya really think it might be cocci? What makes you think that, just curious....
    Quote:

7. ICallMyselfCherie'

Okay, so I got four votes for worming -- when I treat for worms, should I use the Wazine, or get ahold of the Ivermectin tomorrow?

8. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I say Wazine because it would be easier on Mr. sick Roo's tummy.......[​IMG]

9. ICallMyselfCherie'

Wow, more posts already! Thank you, you guys.

Frontline, huh?? Wow!! That's awesome!!! [​IMG]

By the way, yes, he's still quarantined and has a heater on him.

10. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I have to sign off for tonight, [​IMG] to you and Mr. roo......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by