1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very pale comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sundayfunday, Sep 5, 2015.

1. sundayfunday

sundayfunday Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2015
    Hi there,

I am quite new to backyard chickens. We bought a house and inherited some. I have two of the originals and recently bought 3 pullets from a 4H group (2 from the same farm and one from a separate farm). My black australorp was very pretty, bright red, perfect comb. I have had them for about a month or so and noticed the comb showing a few black spots. No scabs. Now the comb has white areas and almost a frosty look. When I bought her the previous owner sprayed her for mites. She acts normal and I believe has started laying. I am wondering whether this is stress related or a disease. I do not have any vets in my area that treat chickens so don't know what to do. Please help!

2. emmaie892000

emmaie892000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    The black spots are likely from pecks or foraging. Sometimes combs become pale when a bird is molting, or when they're stressed for some reason. It could be anemia, although that's unlikely. In the winter frostbite can affect birds with large combs.
    Could you post a picture? It would be easier to tell if it's normal with a picture.

3. sundayfunday

Sep 5, 2015
    I can try to get a picture. She is not molting and it is summer so not from frostbite. She does appear to be low on the pecking order.

4. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    Other illnesses can have a pale comb as a symptom, but usually they'll be showing other symptoms as well.

5. sundayfunday

Sep 5, 2015
    ok. Here are a few photos.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Reamuskitty1

Reamuskitty1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2015
    Tatuinne
    a little pale

7. Reamuskitty1

Sep 5, 2015
    Tatuinne
    its mostly in the face

8. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    I don't think it's anything to worry about right now!

9. sundayfunday

Sep 5, 2015
    thank you. What do you mean by mostly in the face?

10. Reamuskitty1

Sep 5, 2015
    Tatuinne
    chicken faces are pale

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by