Very pale / orange comb

Ribatutta

Chirping
Jun 28, 2018
My 1y old Exchequer leghorns large comb and wattles have gone really pale / almost orange and she’s a bit quiet. Drinking fine, not eating much but is well up for a few meal worms! Poo is a bit greenish but not too runny.
I’ve read up for what could have caused it and the main ones are respiratory issues or internal parasites. I thought respiratory seems most urgent so I’ve had her on tylan antibiotic for 3 days but she’s no better so the next step is ivermectin for parasites.

my question is can I give her ivermectin (topical) at the same time as the tylan or how long should I wait after stopping the antibiotic??
Many thanks for any advice.

She might have peritonitis….I had a hen with the same symptoms, along with an impacted crop, and she sadly died.
Peritonitis is when the abdomen begins to fill up with bodily fluids, and/or the hen is internally laying, and has yolks sitting and becoming infected inside her abdomen.

I hope your chicken doesn’t have peritonitis, but you should probably take her to a vet.

Maybe there is someone else on BYC that can offer more info.

best of luck!

Thought I would just post an update for anyone else who might be searching for the same problems.
My chicken has lived through this!!!
she was so ill I decided to give her the ivermectin with the tylan as I thought she would die anyway. A week later there was no improvement. She stopped eating but was still drinking. Her comb got paler and paler. The tips of her feathers and her eyelids even started to go yellow. I was sure it was something to do with her liver or anaemia. I said goodbye to her every night but next morning she was still here.
as a last ditch resort I gave her a bigger dose of ivermectin and also got some battles poultry drink which has iron and other trace elements in it as she was still drinking.
Over the last week she has improved a lot. She started pecking at the ground and then I was worried as she filled her crop so full of dirt it was massive. She still wouldn’t eat food or treats and then yesterday when I put treats in she came with the other chickens and has done the same today.
I’m really hopeful now she will get back to normal.
I’m sure the battles poultry drink has saved her!!!

Thought I would just post an update for anyone else who might be searching for the same problems.
My chicken has lived through this!!!
she was so ill I decided to give her the ivermectin with the tylan as I thought she would die anyway. A week later there was no improvement. She stopped eating but was still drinking. Her comb got paler and paler. The tips of her feathers and her eyelids even started to go yellow. I was sure it was something to do with her liver or anaemia. I said goodbye to her every night but next morning she was still here.
as a last ditch resort I gave her a bigger dose of ivermectin and also got some battles poultry drink which has iron and other trace elements in it as she was still drinking.
Over the last week she has improved a lot. She started pecking at the ground and then I was worried as she filled her crop so full of dirt it was massive. She still wouldn’t eat food or treats and then yesterday when I put treats in she came with the other chickens and has done the same today.
I’m really hopeful now she will get back to normal.
I’m sure the battles poultry drink has saved her!!!
Glad to hear she's getting better.

Back
Top Bottom