Very poopy eggs - safe after long cooking?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Petra Pancake, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Petra Pancake

Petra Pancake Chillin' With My Peeps

All the eggs from my layers' coop this week were very dirty, covered in mud and chicken poop. (Rain seeped in and the hens are lately laying more on the floor than in the nesting box). I tried to rub the eggs clean and to wash them off with a hose - didn't work, the dirt on them just didn't come off. So I stuck them into the fridge as they were. While scavenging in the fridge for dinner tonight, I came across them again and decided to boil a few of them - boiled them in water for 30 minutes and changed the water once during cooking. Do you reckon that's safe enough? I mean, half an hour's boiling should kill any bacteria in or on the eggs, shouldn't it? Or have I just booked a trip to the ER?

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I guess I place a lot of trust in the shell's ability to protect the contents. I get eggs that are very muddy, sometimes poopy, and I just wash them and eat them as per normal. Sometimes the shells are stained if they've sat in mud or damp for a while.

My doctors would probably sigh and shake their heads reading that. I'm a transplant patient and on the heavy duty anti-rejection meds, so my immune system is suppressed. But, I've never gotten sick from eating my eggs, nor has anyone else in my family.

I'm not sure I'd want to eat an egg that had been hard boiled for 30 minutes, though? Sounds like a hard cooked mess to me [​IMG]

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    We wash the very dirty eggs. In the summertime, it can get so muddy that it seems like you have to search for the egg underneath all that mud and poop. I'll gather them as soon as I can, then scrub them off thoroughly with a dish scrubby pad. My family and I have never gotten sick from the eggs, so I take it they're still fine. We will, however, get sick off of store bought eggs.

4. Petra Pancake

Petra Pancake Chillin' With My Peeps

@donrae @cluckcluckgirl , thanks or the input. So my chances for survival aren't that bad. As I said, I tried to wash the eggs, only the muck on the shells was really like cement and didn't come off. Anyway, after the long boil they finally looked almost clean.
    @donrae - call me a barbarian but what's wrong with good ol' hard boiled eggs? Half an hour is nothing - hah, ever tried eggs that are boiled in a cholent stew? They are left to simmer in the shell inside the hot stew for something like 18 - 20 hours to absorb the meaty flavor - perfectly edible, though they do get funny colors - the egg-white turns beige or light brown and the yolk turns dark gray-green. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by