Very poorly chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lyndseymaeer, Mar 26, 2017.

1. lyndseymaeer

lyndseymaeer Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    Good evening
    Could anyone kindly advise me please, I have a silkie that was sitting on eggs in her coop, on Tuesday she didn't seems right didn't wont to eat and was unbalanced on further investigation I found the poor thing had a lice infestations, I've treated her for this and all the lice have gone but her balance is getting worse to the stage she can hardly stand up now without falling over[​IMG] And she is curling her feet a lot , I'm having to hand fed her every 2/3hrs and syringe water into her, I'm giving her a multi vitamin 3 times a day, I've done a lot of reading and it looks like she might be anemic can anyone PLEASE advise me with anything that might help I'm worried sick I'm going to lose her, has anyone managed to save a chicken that is anemic?.
    Thank you for reading this and I'm so grateful for any help & advise please I live in the U.K.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Keep her hydrated - adding the poultry vitamins was a good idea. Since she is sitting and not laying eggs, give her some chick starter which is usually higher in protein than layer feed. Personally I would give her some beef liver daily to see if that helps with the anemia.

How much longer does she have to sit? It may be prudent that you try to break her broodiness and finish incubating the eggs in an incubator.

1 person likes this.
  3. lyndseymaeer

Mar 25, 2017
    Thank for for your reply, I've been giving her lambs liver and spinach, I've taken her off the eggs and brought her in cause she was so poorly, she seems to have got worse over the last 2 days she's not eating I'm having to put it in her beak. Do you know how long it could take to get over anemia please x

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take her to a vet?

I really don't know how long it would take her to get over being anemic. If she is declining and barely eating, then you may want to consider tube/syringe feeding her to get fluids and nutrition into her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding starts at 15

5. lyndseymaeer

Mar 25, 2017
    Unfortunately I couldn't find one over the weekend and our vets don't treat chickens, I'm going to ring some more today, I am managing to get her to eat & drink every couple of hours by syringe and putting the food in her beak is this ok or would tube feeding be better? Thanks for your help.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    However you can get water and food into her. Just be careful she doesn't aspirate food/liquid. Some people prefer tubing, but if you are managing the way you're doing I should think it would be fine.

Keep us posted.

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

Firstly, were they lice or mites. Lice will not make a chicken anaemic as they do not suck blood (they just live off skin debris and are irritating but don't pose a serious health risk). If it's red mites then you need to treat the coop as well as the chickens because mites live in the cracks and crevices of the coop and crawl onto the chickens when they are roosting, to suck their blood. They breed in the coop, so it's really important to spray it really thoroughly, into all the joints and underside of the timber.

How old is your silkie? Is this her first time being broody and is she definitely broody or could she have an illness that has led her to take refuge in a nest box, which just happened to have eggs in it and you have perhaps misread the situation. Excuse this question if it seems patronising but if you have not experienced a broody hen before, it is an easy mistake to make. How long has she been "broody" ?

Broody hens can be a real magnate for mites because they are sitting ducks so to speak and allow the mites a 24/7 banquet. I always dust my broody nests thoroughly with DE before I set them and two or three times during the 3 week period, just to be sure. I once had a broody hen abandon her nest with a few days to go because the whole thing was alive with mites. I was horrified and now take prevention really seriously. That said, she did not get sick with anaemia, despite the nest and eggs literally crawling with mites, so I wonder if something else is going on with your silkie and the mites or lice are just capitalising on her weakness. Silkies are very prone to neurological problems resulting in partial paralysis, which can be caused by injury, vitamin deficiency and viruses like Marek's Disease.

I'm in the UK too and I particularly like a product called Nutri Drops which should be available from your local feed store and is formulated for poultry. It is a vitamin supplement with vitamin B complex which should help. You are doing well getting food and water into her. I'm assuming you are pureeing the liver and spinach. You might find she takes it herself if you mix it with some pieces of bread to a mushy porridge consistency. Start off with the bread soaked in a little water and blood off the liver. Alternate with scrambled egg and bread soaked in water. Only feed her wet, mushy food as this reduces the amount of water she needs and therefore reduces the risk of her aspirating when giving her fluids by beak. I'm not keen on syringing fluids because of the risks, and I've had sick birds survive a couple of weeks on just sloppy feed....at the end of the day, the water in the food is just the same as the water you are syringing.
    Good luck with her and I hope it is something that she can recover from.

Best wishes

Barbara

1 person likes this.
  8. lyndseymaeer

Mar 25, 2017
    Thank you for you helpful replies, she seemed ok when she come out for a little while on Monday Tuesday she didn't want to leave her coop, then when I checked her wedsnesday as she still didn't want to leave I found looks of little white/ reddish things all over her, I treated her with mite powder, then on Thursday she started to get a bit wobbly, so I bathed her and killed all the mites/lice but since the hair balance has just gone down, today she can hardly stand, I've taken her in the garden and sat with her she did I poo, now she's back inside in a dog bed. I haven't been purée the liver just giving her small pieces her coop seems full, would I be better off purée all her food to make it easier for her to digest? I've been in contact with the breeder who told me to give her vitamins and make sure she is fed and watered regular, I'm waiting on a call back from a vet that might be able to see her. It's so sad cause she seems quite bright in herself just has no strength to stand on her own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by