very poorly chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brynchicks, May 13, 2010.

1. brynchicks

brynchicks New Egg

Aug 14, 2009
    my chicken seemed lethargic yesterday and breathing heavily. I have isolated her and put her in a box in a warm place with water and food but she is getting worseHer - barely moving and wont drink. Her droppings are watery. Please has anyone got
    any suggestions what todo next?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    The things you have already done to help her are very good. I would just keep her in a quiet spot in your house. She may be having internal "mechanical" problems that a person can't do anything about.

Does anybody else have any suggestions?

3. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Can you give us any more information about her? Has she laid an egg recently?

4. NWChicks

NWChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    Quote:How old is she? Is she laying? Any exposure to new birds or equipment that might have brought something into her environment? Have you walked in someone else's pen then in your own? What physical signs does she have other than lethargic, not drinking or moving? Do her wings droop? Are her feathers fluffed up? Is she eating at all? What do the droppings look like other than watery? Is there blood or is it bright green?

I'm pretty new myself but more information would be useful. Hope you can get this figured out. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. brynchicks

brynchicks New Egg

Aug 14, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your replies. She is about 3 years old and she didn't lay for a day before she became ill. She has her feathers fluffed up and she hasn't eaten or drunk anything since first thing this morning. Her pooh is just water - no colour at all! I guess I will have to contact the vet if she doesn't improve by morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by