very poorly cock :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ellie-x-x-x, May 18, 2011.

1. ellie-x-x-x

ellie-x-x-x Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    I had only had my cock for about 3 weeks and he never seemed to really want to bond with my hens. having put some eggs in the incubator, he must have been doing something as they are fertilsed, but whenever i went to let them out in the morning, you had to almost chase him out the shed and then he would spend all day sitting on his own in another shed. to get him back into the hen shed, i would have to pick him up and put him in. he refused to roost too, although i know that many dont, i think the woman who gave him me didnt have a roost anyway. the woman who gave him me, said she couldnt have him anymore as he was trampling all her chickens, so he must have been fine then! anyway, one night i went out to put him away, and noticed a patch on his back, where his feathers had gone dry and were sticking up. i thought he had been attacked, but my farmer boyfriend said he just needed some antiseptic spray on him. anyways, i went back the next day and it was no better but no worse. the day after this, i went back again with some spray and there was another dried patch on the other side of his back, and it had gone down all his chest [​IMG] his eyes had gone bright red instead of the brown around his pupil, but the white bits were still white, and he had a pooey bum. he kept his tail down, and didnt have his usual 'swagger' when he was walking round. he eventually went outside and hid under foiliage under a tree and lied down. i went and put some food and water by him and he just looked at the floor more and lowered his head.

i just dont know what was wrong with him and im worried by chickens may catch it?? i have checked them all and they seem fine til now.

i rang my friend who has had chickens for years, and asked him to see what he thought, and to kill him if he thought it was for the best. he just looked so unhappy. my friend ended up having to kill him, said he would be dead by the end of the day anyways and i didnt want him to suffer.

so anyone had anything like this before? or any idea on what it may be??

thanks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by