Very Powerful ,Ate Head and Neck.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NYboy, Mar 26, 2012.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    I am in a daze, just lost my first bird. I live in NY right outside the city of White Plains,have everything from coytoes to raccoons. Don't have stray dogs because of coytoes. Something last night ripped coop door off it"s hinges. It killed 1 hen out of 5 eating head and neck only. What ever killed her ,ate her in the coop and left the body.What is that powerfull but only eats a small amount?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. NYboy

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Raccoon was my first thought but are they that powerfull? Srews holding hinges was pulled out of the wood.

4. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Is it possible it was a bear?

5. NYboy

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Very very rare in 20 years only 2x where bears spotted here. A bear would eat the whole bird rght?

6. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    There are a couple of news articles on the web about bears getting in chicken coops but it looks like they did more damage, and left the carcasses strewn about

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Is there claw marks? If it was say a coyote it would have to claw at door edges, there would be a lot of claw marks. The only critter with hands is a raccoon, wouldn't be many scratches.

How long were the screws for hinges? How solid is the wood it was screwed to? Here in northern climates male racoons are easily 30 lbs. That's a powerful animal. The record found in wild is 62 lbs but that's a fluke.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  8. laura877

laura877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Attica, Mi
    We had problems years ago with possum getting into the coop and eating the heads off one chicken after another. I caught it in the act and took care of it.

Recently I saw a possum in our barn right outside was the coop. I couldn't get a hold of a gun without going to the house so it was gone by the time I got back. A few days later we lost another hen that had been sleeping in a tote laying box on the floor of the coop as it was molting real bad. I hadn't closed up the chickens entry door into the coop so it would have been easy for the possum to go in. Its head and neck was gone too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by