Very Red skin on my chickens !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lyndama, Jul 31, 2013.

1. lyndama

lyndama New Egg

Apr 29, 2012
    I do not have my camera w/me today But been meaning to ask for help/advise. All 6 of my ckns have red red bare spots on sides & back. so I got from my Local supply store the Blue spray- anteseptic spray -they were all now beautiful purple on feathers and seemed fine, spray is wearing off & the under skin is very red.. They are all 6 still laying eggs, act healthy. look not so .. Help.. I dont know what to do.. Thanks Lynda

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are they molting? They may have a lice or mite infestation. Some mites only come on them at night, so if you don't see any, you may need to chick after dark on the roost. Look closely next to the skin around the vent and neck. Also could they be feather picking each other? Sometimes when they don't get enough protein in the diet when people just feed scratch, not chicken feed, or they don't are crowded or bored they will peck each other. Here is some info on lice and mites: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by