1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very runny droppings, dirty bottoms on adult birds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by journey11, Sep 9, 2009.

1. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    I am seeing a lot of runny droppings in my laying flock here lately. I have witnessed it happen a couple of times and it literally squirts out with noise (think super-soaker [​IMG] ).

I see a lot of normal droppings too, so I cannot tell if it is the same few birds continually or if they are all doing it off and on. They all look otherwise healthy. No visible sign of mites or worms (although I will be deworming here soon with Ivermectin pour-on, but I was wanting to wait til they slowed down laying for fall).

They have been eating a lot of tomatoes here lately, but have been for a month or two, and I've only noticed the runny droppings here recently. Does this sound like some kind of disease/parasite to you? Do you think yougurt would help or make it worse?

2. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    I notice the same in mine when the temps go way up, I figured it was just the heat maybe because they drink more water when it is hotter. It is not all droppings though with mine, just the occasional one with normal ones in between. I am curious what the experts/veterans have to say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by