very sad - beautiful roo is gone

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chick-in-florida, Dec 8, 2011.

1. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

must have been a hawk. i walked away for only a few minutes as an inspector was at my house. darn it all. i came back and all i found was a pile of black feathers. my gorgeous austrolorp rooster gone. All the hens and other roosters were clucking like crazy trying to tell me what happened. very sad day.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like he mightve sacrificed himself for the safety of the others. Sorry for your loss. I hope another one of your roosters steps up in his place.

3. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Awe how heartbreaking [​IMG] So sorry, I know how much it hurts and the guilt we feel when it happens. [​IMG]

4. Felony

Felony Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:Sorry to hear that [​IMG]

5. chick-in-florida

yeah, i have other roos but he was the top dog so to speak. and so nice and tame. i found a few white feathers too so it does look like he saved his 10 ladies.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How sad.

7. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    sorry for your loss. he died protecting his sisters which is what his natural instinct was to do. he died knowing he saved his friends which is all you can think to stay positive. sorry for your loss and may he rest in peace. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Good roo!!! Thats their job!! I am sorry for the boy >

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    He died with his boots on. A good death for a roo. Sorry for your loss, but don't be sorry for him. He died doing what he should have been doing. He was a darn good boy. Hopefully one of his subordinates will step up and fill his very big shoes.

Good luck.

10. chick-in-florida

thank you. i always feel good watching them protect their hens. it's just heartwarming for some reason. even when he would come over to the dog and peck her butt if she accidentally got too near them. the dog would just look at me bewildered and say "what did i do?" anyway, we're going to save some of the eggs this week and hatch them so his progeny will live on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by