Very sad day... I lost 12 Ancona ducks to hunters on POSTED land.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lady Ressler, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Lady Ressler

Lady Ressler Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    North Dakota
    I have (had) 15 tame Ancona ducks free ranging in a pond across the road from my house. I would go out and feed them every other day and let them free range day and night. I have a great pyrenees that has taken care of my ducks and any predetor and I have NEVER lost one duck since I have had him.

This morning I went out to feed my ducks and only 3 came over and they were very hesitant at first but eventually came over to eat and let me pet them a little. I started calling some more but non of the others came. I started wlking the shore line of their little pond and I saw some rubber boot tracks and thought, "I don't remember walking that far in before.". I kept walking and came upoun the location where it happened. Feathers and shells and blood on the bank where they nest. Some moronic hunters shot my ducks on POSTED land. Do they really look like a native species? If they aren't flying is that really hunting? If they swim up to you is that hunting? If they all have bands around their legs, do you think that maybe they belong to someone. Wouldn't you stop after you see the first duck with a leg band.

I take my boys into town for school every morning. I leave at 8:00 am and get back to my farm around 10 am. So I am pretty sure that it was a non locl hunter at that came in around that time. Seriously. It looks like they steped out of their vehical, started shooting, the ducks started swimming towards them and they shot more SWIMMING, not flying, ducks till they had 17 ducks. What is the limit per person anyway?

Very sad day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I am so sorry. That incenses me. [​IMG] Not hunters - idiots.

3. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    I am so sorry to hear about your ducks....I don't know how much help they would be but have you contacted your local authorities?

4. canard

canard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Very sad. I hope the idiot brags and gets caught.

5. oliver27

oliver27 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    I would check out the local Taxidermy places to see if anyone brought those ducks in. Yes that is sad.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wulfandwyn

Wulfandwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    [​IMG] sorry for your losses! They are such pretty birds.

7. Lady Ressler

Lady Ressler Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    North Dakota
    I have placed a call to the "proper" athorities and I am waiting for a call back. The taxidermy thing is a great idea to look into. Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Now I have to rebuild my flock. What is worse is that it is almost off laying season for these guys.

Any Ancona Duck breeder suggestions. I would like show quality and type birds. I do understand they are not regognized but I am still picky.

Thank you again.

8. Goin Quackrrs

Goin Quackrrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington
    I'm so sorry. What kind of idiot does such a horrible thing? [​IMG]

Please report it to the proper authorities. There's a load of criminal charges there. It may help keep someone else's pets safe. [​IMG]

9. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    That's just awful. :( [​IMG]

10. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    That's horrible! I am so sorry about your ducks, I can't believe someone would do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by