very sad day UPDATE- lost even more :o(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mmaddie's mom, Jan 22, 2011.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Today is a sad day for me. By nightfall I will have no more chickens. Two nights ago I lost 9 to an unknown predator. Last night I lost 11 more. The remaining 8 will go to live with my friend, Donna and her birds. I would rather have them safe w/her than sacrifice them tonight. Life is hard, but God is good...all the time. :-}

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh no! I was hoping you would have given them to Laura Thompson LOL!

3. MrsPinkKitty

MrsPinkKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    It will be ok..It is hard to loose chickens .Keep your head up

4. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

We are thinking weasels or mink. We have never had trouble with these predators before BUT up until Monday we had a resident cat in the coop. He slept there every night. He was an old boy and we had to have him put to sleep earlier this week (cancer). Is it possible that just his presense in the coop at night was a deterrent to these nasty predators? I'm thinking that he may have been earning his keep as a night watchman for my flock! He is missed in so many ways... and so is my flock. It will be a quiet Spring.

6. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I had a mink back in Oct. Everyone kept telling me you can't use a live trap for mink. Yes you can. I put in a part from one of the chickens he had killed and I got him! Haven't had any trouble since. [​IMG]

7. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Quote:Your absolutely right. I have trapped mink in live traps a number of times. I covered the trap in branches and such making it look like a nice cubby hole. Mink like that kind of place. Chicken entrails as bait always works well. Hope you get him.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    mmaddie's mom :

We are thinking weasels or mink. We have never had trouble with these predators before BUT up until Monday we had a resident cat in the coop. He slept there every night. He was an old boy and we had to have him put to sleep earlier this week (cancer). Is it possible that just his presense in the coop at night was a deterrent to these nasty predators? I'm thinking that he may have been earning his keep as a night watchman for my flock! He is missed in so many ways... and so is my flock. It will be a quiet Spring.

Oh, that is so sad. He really was your hero all along.​

9. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    Sad news indeed! Here's hoping that it can be straightened out and your chickens can come back home where they belong.[​IMG]

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    That's really sad. Sorry this has happed to you!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by