VERY SAD!!! I think one of my favorite black Austrolorps is a Roo????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by byudawn, Jul 13, 2011.

1. byudawn

byudawn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    We raised 2 black Austrolorps since April 1st, bought from Cal-Ranch here in Utah---they are really like the exact same age-ish and size (maybe within a day???), so they are now almost 15 weeks old. They are my FAVORITES and are so gentle and even come jump up on my lap when I'm sitting down! Amazing!
    The other (smaller leghorn) chickens even "boss" them around! Anywho, we were on vacation last week and had neighbors taking care of them all, and when I came back it kind of hit me that ONE of the austrolorps's tail feathers look DIFFERENT than the others---like a rooster! [​IMG] I am SO sad, because like many other chicken owners in the suburbs, we can't have a rooster (and don't want one anyway). Please, is there anyone that sees the same thing I do in my pics? The one has feathers that go "up" more and even when it is standing/walking, it has more of a "U" shaped curve to the top of it's body/tail feathers than the other that is much for "flat". These are not the best pics I'm sure.
    So I"m a bit confused because otherwise their head things look the same (yeah, I forget what those are called) and maybe one is just having longer tail feathers?? (I can only hope)
    We wanted to see how these lay, because if they are great we're getting rid of some Rhode Island Reds and getting more austrolorps next year!
    Thanks for any help!
    Ummmm.......I can't see how to upload my pictures???? Help?

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Posting pics...
    Top of page (where the login/logout button is)... click on "Uploads." It'll open a new window where you can upload pictures like you do your avatar. When they're done loading, you copy the [​IMG]

ETA -- I'm sure you'll love the Australorps! I love mine. (I only have 1 left though.)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  3. byudawn

Apr 20, 2011
    Thank you! I think I've got it, here are the pics: Can you tell which one's tail feathers I'm talking about? Yet, they look the same otherwise,
    OH, and the "roo" i'm thinking is actually a shinier "green" sheen if that makes any difference? Thanks!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Still a little young, but it's starting to look a little different from the other one. At 15 weeks I'd give it a little more time before getting rid of it.

5. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    pritty pullet [​IMG]

6. NoSleepTillBrooklyn

NoSleepTillBrooklyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Right now, I'd say pullet. There absolutely no comb. But like you said, that tail is being held up pretty high, which some females do. I'd watch for behavior, does she always have to greet you first? Does she rush the other under a table or something if she senses danger? Then there's the obvious comb/wattle difference, that may not be decipherable till about 6 months. Otherwise, by looks right now, I'd say pullet.

7. byudawn

Apr 20, 2011
    They stick together all the time, but one doesn't seem to dominate per se. They will both come and greet me together [​IMG] I'll just keep watching them! Thanks for the help so far! I'm just curious though, how do Cal-Ranch and other place deal with if they guarantee they have pullets, and then one is not? Obviously I wouldn't just want to "return" it for the $2 I spent on the baby chick...............our neighbors were told they could return their roo to the nursery they bought it from, but they haven't told me what happened. Or maybe it's just a chance you take?

8. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I got an australorp from cal ranch in Northern Utah as well as a buff orpington and a black sex link. I have heard a mystery crow about three times over the last several weeks, but can never figure out who it is. I don't want my buff or my australorp to be a roo, so I am hoping I have a crowing hen.

Here is a picture of my australorp. Mine is a little over 16 weeks old. My australorp is the one that runs and hides from me.

[​IMG]

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Both look like pullets to me.

10. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    One other thing I think it is just a chance you take when buying chicks. There is about a 10% chance that you will end up with a cockerel as opposed to a pullet. I hope both of yours are pullets as much as I hope mine is as well. I am planning on being patient and waiting until they all start to lay and I know I have hens or the mystery crower begins crowing more frequently and I can tell which it is. I live in town too and know the feeling of wanting to be a good neighbor.

Best of luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by