Very sad morning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seminolewind, Nov 24, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I found My little 5 day old Polish chick dead this morning. She was active and running around at 2 am, and at sometime during the night I checked on them and she was fine. Now that I look back, we never saw her eat and drink, except the little bit of yogurt we gave her on our finger. Maybe that's why she would run frantically and chirp when she saw us. I don't know why we never saw her eat or drink, I showed her where the food was, we even made a mash on day and put it in there. I put feed on my fingers, and she wouldn't eat it. I had also dipped her beak in water several times. I put a friend in with her, they got along, and I thought she would learn from the friend to eat chick food. Why why why did this happen? She was so vigorous that I assumed she must be eating when I wasn't looking. We were so so so attached to her. I am so bummed out. Karen

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry for your loss, chicks under a week old can just die for no reason some times. It might have had some other problem with it.

3. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    I really don't know why it wouldn't eat or drink. When hens hatch them out they tend to do better because they are so atached they follow and copy almost everything(mama)does. I'd say that the reason she didn't learn from the other chick is because she thought you were (mama), and abviously you don't eat and drink like the chick does, therefore, you couldn't have taught it as good as a hen.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry about the baby. You tried all you knew how to do, so it probably had something wrong you were not aware of. Sometimes, that just happens.

5. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    I hatched out my very first Polish last week. We were so excited because it was our first. It would eat but we never saw it drink. It looked very dehydrated when we got up and I tryed to give it water. It would drink it but I had to go to Church and when I got back it was dead. I understand you pain. The best thing to do is get in there and hatch another one...better yet...a few

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Sorry to hear that it hard to lose one your really attached to.

7. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Man, that really stinks. I hate it when a chicken dies, especially a chick.

8. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm very sorry for your chick. I pity. [​IMG]

I currently have 5 chicks now and one keeps sleeping. I'm worried that she might be sick too. I put vitamin C in their water that might help. The chick does eat and drink, but spends more of her time sleeping. She also has a friend chick that she keeps on following. I don't want to lose her!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Lindatu, I also have one that seems to sleep more. She eats and drinks, and will climb onto my hand. I know what you mean, I worry, but she looks healthy. Hopefully they will both do well. Karen

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sometimes I wonder if it had anything to do with that sac.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by