1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very Sad Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ladybuggarden, Sep 7, 2009.

1. ladybuggarden

ladybuggarden Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2009
    I had chicks hatch this past Sunday and this morning. I went to take the four out that had hatched this morning and one of the chicks was laying down as though sleeping but it was dead. I am just wondering if this sometimes happens or if I did something that could have prevented this.

They were mailed RIR eggs and this hatch was the best hatch I have had so far. Out of 11 eggs, I have 8 live chicks, the one chick that died, 1 chick died after it pipped it's shell and the last egg which I thought hadn't been pipped, I noticed when opening the incubator, was halfway out.

During this hatch, I was away for the day on day 14 and had a power outage. When I got home the temp was down to 73 and humidity was at 70. This is my 5th time hatching and the first time I have lost a chick that was out of it's shell and running around. The rest of the chicks seem to be doing fine. I guess it just kinda threw me for a loop and has left me wondering what could have possibly gone wrong.

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I can always count on one to die...no matter what. Nothing you could have done...sometimes are they JUST strong enough to hatch, then they suddenly die on ya like that. As long as the others are healthy and eating, pooping ok....you are good.

Still it's sad to lose a baby. So sorry [​IMG]

3. 1-duckling

1-duckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Washington
    I'm sorry to hear you lost the chick. You've actually done really well to hatch five batches without a loss. Especially shipped eggs. You're doing it right. My little polish eggs hatched Thursday/Friday. I too had a loss of one that was just three days old. It refused water and food. Another passed the first day, I knew it would because I could hear the familiar tell tail sign: clicking when it breathed. I don't know what it is but it happens quite often with he hatch no matter if it is ducks or chickens. Even when my ducks hatch out their own I've seen the same thing. Albeit sad, I've finally come to accept that it will happen.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by