1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very sad/sick looking cortunix quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by stephross, Nov 10, 2014.

1. stephross

stephross Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    Cancun,Mexico
    Hi, I noticed just today that one of my two quails is very thin her bones are just so visible and you can easily feel her ribs to touch,she has been very sedentary and craving to bee under the sun,I am giving her water constantly with a small medicine syringe and she is drinking but she barely moves (no her usual self) what can I do so she eats and gains back some weight she looks very frail ): Only notable things that have been different is the weather that has dropped from the usual 90s to 66-70's I am now keeping her inside to monitor her and put a lightbulb so she keeps warm. I don't want my baby to die I will try anything that I can to help her ):
    p.s
    Is it safe to provide her with an electrolyte solution that contains glucose,potassium and sodium chloride, and trisodium citrate?
    p.p.s
    Her poop is very watery and white,she is breathing VERY slowly and her feathers are all poofed

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. Serenderpity

Serenderpity Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    Expect to lose her, but hope for the best. It's always easier to assume any sick bird of any kind is going to die, then you're really excited when they pull through.

I'd for sure give her an electrolyte solution. Try to keep her as warm as you possibly can within that comfort range. You can only do so much and what you want to do is perfect. You're a good keeper.

3. Serenderpity

Serenderpity Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    Expect to lose her, but hope for the best. It's always easier to assume any sick bird of any kind is going to die, then you're really excited when they pull through.

I'd for sure give her an electrolyte solution. Try to keep her as warm as you possibly can within that comfort range. You can only do so much and what you want to do is perfect. You're a good keeper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by