very sad

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by txmel, Aug 31, 2010.

1. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    i went out to go check on the chicks like i do several times a day. and i found one dead in the coop. [​IMG] it was about 3 weeks old and was doing fine even earlier today. i dont know what happened there wasn't any blood or obvious trauma. the fluff on her head was flattened but that was the only thing that looked odd. its was flattened all over her head like she had dunked her head in water but she wasn't wet. all the rest of the chicks were outside in the run and once i removed the dead chick they all came in and started eating so i think they didnt want to go in when she was in there?
    its very sad she was one of three that i hatched out last month and the only ee to hatch. the rest of the chicks look good there are 7 now. 5 are about 2 weeks or so older than the rest and all got along fine with out any pecking or anything. they have been together for the last 2 weeks and no problems so i dont think one intentionally killed her. i just dont know what to think.

2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    [​IMG] I sorry [​IMG]

3. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    SO so sorry to hear that. I know it's tough. [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If her head was all wet, I wonder if something "mouthed" her, like a dog

5. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    she wasn't wet it just looked like it because the fuzz was all flattened. and she was inside the coop were the dogs couldn't get to her. so i just dont know

6. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by