Very sad

Lanissa86

Songster
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
San Antonio, TX
My 4 week old white EE is getting pecked on pretty bad by my others! Half her face looks like its been in a meat grinder! I cleaned her up and she is doing fine now. I know its because the brooder is too small, but the coop is only half finished! They stay out ALL day and I bring them in at night...well last night is when it must have happened. I was so sad, and upset, that really looks painful!
hit.gif
I am afraid to put her back with the others and I Know they will probably do more damage so I decided to put her on craigslist for free and I will even throw in one of her sisters so she won't have to go alone. The coop will not be finished until next weekend, so this was all I could think of. My son is upset because he loves "sunshine" but he is being cooperative about it. Sure hope she heals up ok.

On another note, Booger our rooster baby decided to try and crow today! I was wondering when it would happen! He sounded so cute and was really trying his hardest to belt it out! I give him a BIG A for effort! Good job Booger!
woot.gif

Do you have a red light bulb? I haven't had any issues with picking since I got a red bulb....

Also, I have a rubbermaid tub with wire on top that I use for isolating certain babies. You could get one of those & separate that chick until she heals...as long as she's picked on, the others will continue to do so....they will mess with her because they will spot her weakness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the rubbermaid for my babies, but out of anything to turn into a brooder since I have ducks and bantams in two other boxes! I have always had a red bulb and never had this issue before, so I was shocked to see this.

I have a very good friend who ended up hatching so many batches that she didn't have enough room for them as they grew older; she ended up taking the box her new refrigerator came in and using that! It worked out great. They had lots of room, and she carefully hung the heat lamp so that it wouldn't fall & catch fire or cause any problems. Just another idea!

Back
Top Bottom