Very Sad...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shadust1, Jul 16, 2011.

1. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    my kids heard a squelling noise the other night and we just didnt think nething about it...i went down to take care of my babies before work n 2 were gone..one RIR and a BANTY....the rir was by the pond in the weeds hiding..it ran out when it heard me and was like "im here mommy"..so i put him back in his enclosure...but the banty i couldnt find...i had to go to work so i didnt have time to look for it...was at work worried sick that something got it....i got off work..went straight to look for her...couldnt find it....walked around by the tree because i saw feathers...there she was dead....im not sure what got it....im thinking a cat because we think there is a cat living in the trailer down by the pond...well let me tell u...it wont be there for long..killing my baby...ill either shoot it or set out a trap with food in and take it elsewhere...i love cats but that makes me mad...i know..its just a cat doing what a cat does...but it like literally ate my banty to the point of unrecgonizable except for the white feathers...im sooo upset....i clean when im upset...i scrubbed all the carpets in my house...

we have been leaving the coop door open at nights because like i said we have not seen one animal what so ever around our house or in the woods for the 4 yrs that we have lived there....now i get chickens and now we have a cat..and we saw a couple foxes in the field...the only animals i have seen r deer across road...bunnies...

now im venting....sorry...

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    You can't leave the door open at night, period . Just because you don't see critters , doesn't mean they are not around. Every varmint in the woods wants to eat your chickens. Sorry you lost one, that is always sad. But since you didn't see who did it, you can't assume it was the cat. I thought my birds would be safe during the day outside. Wrong. I lost three to hawks, two to vultures. Some just disappear, I know dogs and foxes will take birds during the day. Do your chickens a favor, pen them up.

3. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    dont worry they will be from now on...stupidity on my part....thanks!!!

4. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Nothing wrong with venting. Sometimes that's what it takes. I am sorry for your loss.

5. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Oh no! I'm so sorry!

6. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I understand the heart break and sorry for your loss. Go ahead and vent all you need. I would.

7. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Shadust, that's heartbreaking. Hindsight may be 20/20 but it sure doesn't take away the pain of losing her.
    Try to believe her life was sacrificed in order to save the others, perhaps. Because of her death you'll be much more careful.
    And maybe some others who read this thread will be also.

8. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry! [​IMG]

9. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    thanks alot for all of ur support...we are thinking that it wasnt the cat i was blaming...sorry kitty..a friend of jeff's said that a cat wouldnt eat the chicks head which it was gone...everything on the poor thing was completely gone....

10. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Quote:Not really, we never know how dangerous life is for chickens until something happens. Just like some people don't lock their doors at night because they live in the country. Better to be safe than sorry. Sorry about your bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by