Very sadly we lost one of our 2 week old chicks today...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by srfjeld, May 13, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    We were letting them get a taste of the outdoors today and when we were rounding them up, my boyfriend accidentally stepped on our sweetest little Buff Orp, Dolly. He cried and I cried. It was the saddest thing ever. At only 2 weeks we had already become attached. The 3 other chicks were freaked to say the least but we got them back in their brooder and then decided we wanted to get another Orp as soon as possible so that they could all bond together. It wasn't easy feeling like we were running out to replace Dolly but we did it. We thought we'd get 2 Buffs b/c of their kind and gentle nature but when we got to the feed store the little Buffs were mingling with some Black Cochins. The woman who worked at the store said they are very sweet as well and are more pets than anything else... Don't ask me why we'd wanna get attached to 2 more sweeties but we decided to get one of each.

So, there is a 2 week difference in the chicks... so far so good in the brooder. Should we be concerned about the age difference?

Thank you,

steph

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I am very sorry about the unfortunate accident. Something similar happened to me with my first batch of chicks. They're just so quick and unpredictable. It's awful to lose one at any age. [​IMG]

You need not worry about the two week age difference at all. They're very accepting of each other early on. If you run into any issues, let us know and we'll be able to walk you through it. Good luck and [​IMG] from Connecticut!

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  3. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I'm so sorry about ur little one. [​IMG] They should be fine tho at this age. I have 4, 5, & 6 week olds together now and every1 is healthy and happy together. Good luck with ur newest fuzzybutts!

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! I'm glad you joined us, but so sorry to hear about little Dolly. [​IMG] It is so easy to get hopelessly attached to these little sweeties, isn't it? You didn't go out to "replace" Dolly, but consider it honoring her memory to take care of more chicks. As long as the older chicks aren't picking on the younger ones, they should be ok. Just keep an eye on them and be prepared to separate either the one (or ones) doing the bullying, or the one(s) being bullied so there are no major injuries. Good luck with your babies! Be sure to come to the forum often; there are many friendly people on here who are generous with their time and expertise, and are willing to share their knowledge and experience with others. There is always something going on of interest, lots of witty banter, good natured ribbing, and some of the most adorable pictures on the planet! (make sure to check out the "comprehensive study of the stink-eye" thread!! [​IMG] Pull up a comfy chair and let's get acquainted! [​IMG]

5. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    So sorry to hear that! That would have killed me!

I wouldn't worry about putting them together. We did this a few weeks ago actually. I had first had 6 babies and one died a few days after we got them so the store replaced that one. Then 2wk later I went to the store for some feed and couldn't pass up this sweet polka dotted chick so I snuck her home and put her in the box and there is a 2wk dif. there but they have all been fine together.

6. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Thank you for all of your sweet and encouraging replies. I'm still shook up and I swear, I think I've only seen my boyfriend cry once in the nearly 13 years we've been together. Oh, and it happened on Friday the 13th. I've always considered that a lucky day for me but this was clearly some bad luck. I'm hoping these two little sweeties will be just as sweet as Dolly. We buried Dolly next to a new yellow rose bush we had planted a few weeks back. The only saving grace is that she went very quickly so her pain was brief.

So far everyone seems to bed getting along. I'm having a hard time believing our 2 week olds were ever that small! Oh, I just peeked in and the black cochin is snuggling next to our speckled sussex.
    We also have a silver laced wyandotte and an ameraucana.

oh no, now our speckled sussex is acting funny. She has diarhea and keeps acting like she is dry heaving... what is that about?! not again.

7. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

8. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    what exactly is she doing??

9. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Earlier today when we were out in the yard I noticed that she had brown runny poo when all the others' was solid. But she was acting fine. Now I notice she is sort of isolating herself from the others but will get up to drink water. I haven't noticed her eat anything yet. About 20 minutes ago I saw that it look like she was putting her head back and opening her mouth as if she were dry heaving. She's not doing that anymore. Her stools are just plain water with a few chunks in them. Our feed store is closed but I'm thinking of heading there in the morning to pick up some anitbiotics in case it's coccidiosis. a bit worried since I just introduced the 2 day olds.

10. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    there wood be blood in her poo if it was that...if it is kinda clear poo (according to the poo chart...do a search for the poop chart) i think that means too hot or not eating and drinking enough. might want to try to see if she will eat crumbles with water to make them mushy and if u have any save-a-chick to put in the water would b even better. good luck and keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by