Very Severe prolapsed oviduct

kelsy274

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Indianapolis
My girl started laying her first egg yesterday, she is really too young I think (hatched around April 20). Apparently all day she was pushing and "blew out" her oviduct, with the egg still inside. The egg kept stretching on the thin membrane or skin on the inside of the oviduct. So picture the oviduct "opening" hanging out and right next to it is the egg hanging (very low) in the very thin skin. I knew that this unattended would kill her. Using a very sterile technique, I cut an opening about 1/2 inch in the "skin" holding the egg and released the egg. I thoroughly cleaned her and saturated her with antibiotic cream and the oviduct started to go back in. She is doing well this morning and was eating, even did a BM overnight. My question is, with all the damage this has done to her oviduct...what will the next egg time be like...is there a way I can stop her from laying? Very Concerned, and I really don't have the funds to have a vet do any kind of procedure. Kellie

Keep the area (where you had to cut) clean. If it prolapses again you could try Preperation H (I think that would show up in Search). If the other girls start picking at her, seperate. I think the only way to slow down the egg laying to to keep her in an area that has minimal lighting.

Good luck!

Sounds like quick thinking on your part; I don't know of much else you could have done to save the hen. I agree with the low light for a few days; it can help slow egg production, and you can see if your girl will heal.

You might also do a search on types of antibiotics, as the main issue now will be avoiding infection.

Please keep us posted. Good luck!

I have had her in a small box in the house with a bath towel over it, plenty of food and water. She didn't eat all day yesterday. I've put fake eggs in there with her to trick her to not lay. the oviduct is still out quite a bit. I've been alternating the prep-h and antibiotic cream and bathing her bottom twice a day. The tissue is necrotic and smells bad. She started pushing again yesterday, but I don't think it's another egg. I think the sensation of the heaviness of her bottom makes her think to push. I'm getting concerned, she seems exhausted.

From your description, I think her condition is beyond what someone can deal with outside of a medical office. If the tissue smells bad, it is either infected or dead. This is not an area that can be expected to heal on it's own (like a skin tear on the head or back) and expected to behave well in the future (functional egg layer). She needs expert surgery or she needs to be culled/humanely killed. You can't keep her body from trying to make and lay eggs- she is a hen. Spaying a chicken is VERY hard, and repro type drugs don't work very well to prevent laying in chickens. She is uncomfortable and will continue to strain and push, and prolapse. The tissue, even when healthy, cannot survive long outside of the body. Sorry so harsh, but I believe it needs to be said. Jess

I'm not sure that its humane to try too much more with this bird. It sounds like it might be time to cull her. To live in such pain with a vital part of your body unable to heal or function does not sound okay.

I really feel for you. And for the hen as well.

Thanks for all your advice...I'm taking her in tonight. As I write this and cry, I know your right. This is beyond my care. I'm so heartbroken, we have many other's but this particular girl (Butterball) is my son's "baby" and considered the favorite. Kellie

It is with a heavy heart that I write this. However, I knew that is was going to come to this, Butterball is gone. The vet agreed that the situation was too far gone, so we did the humane thing. I never thought that I would get so attached to these creatures, and to have one go like this is hard to believe. Thanks again for all your support and advice. Peace, Love, Kellie

Back
Top Bottom