Very sick and lethargic chicken; off balance, nearly dead

Bidoville

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 11, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
About a week ago our hen was becoming lethargic. In just a couple of days she was so weak that she was no longer eating or drinking (as we figured this out last night). She feels incredibly light and boney, and I noticed a large lump in between her legs. Egg bound? To my knowledge she hasn't laid in weeks (several birds had taken breaks this summer).

Yesterday, I found her on her side under the coop with her eyes closed yesterday afternoon, and thought she was dead. It wasn't until I tried to move her that she stirred. We syringed water into her (B vitamins included) for the evening, but she showed no interest in food. She could barely hold the weight of her own head, and couldn't stand.

Expecting her to be dead this morning, she was still with us! She ate a little this morning, but was still weak and couldn't stand. We gave her more water through the day (added honey, apple cider vinegar, Bvitamins, and gelatin for protein), and set her in the grass, which she seemed to like. She definitely has more energy, and is almost able to stand.

She still doesn't look right, and I'm concerned about our next steps. You'll see in the picture that she isn't sitting right (her rear high in the air). A large lump is still on her underside. She is not moving on her own, but stood for a moment (tried to stand) when I brought some feed.

Any advice/next steps/cures/miracles appreciated!

I would check for two things. Look to see if her foot pads are inflamed and pussy, if so, she has bumblefoot. Also, check her feet for Infectious Synovitis, which is where the legs are very swollen and the bird cannot walk. I'm guessing it's either those, or Marek's Disease.

Thank you for the response. Her feet are normal, no visible issues there. One or two nails look wider than normal (like it doesn't come to a neat point).

The lump is large an in her abdomen. She tilts her rear up when sitting. We just have her some calcium carbonate.

Keep her warm, 80-85 degrees is ideal, get her hydrated and once she's hydrated, stck your finger in her vent to chek for and egg. In and up towards her spine is where it would be. Down-ish to the left is the gizzard. No more than an inch in is where you're likely to find an egg.

Is she pooping?

-Kathy

Thank you! She is pooping, watery with a little solid waste. Will give her a bath tomorrow with hot water and check for egg near vent. I felt around her vent tonight and didn't feel anything.

Keep her warm, 80-85 degrees is ideal, get her hydrated and once she's hydrated, stck your finger in her vent to chek for and egg. In and up towards her spine is where it would be. Down-ish to the left is the gizzard. No more than an inch in is where you're likely to find an egg.

Is she pooping?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom