Very sick baby gosling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lucysducks11, May 17, 2016.

1. lucysducks11

lucysducks11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2016
    I have a abandoned baby gosling that could no longer keep up with its parents. I watched this Baby struggle for days before I went down to my pond to get her and noticed she walked with a limp and her eyes were badly infected. She was also a great deal smaller than her siblings. I have been feeding her and hydrating her adding electrolytes and probiotics to her water. After a few days of this she has perked up and become more alert. My concern is she will not walk at all and both eyes are very "foggy" looking. Could she be blind? Is there any advice on how I can help this sweet baby????

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Don't know if there is a wildlife rehabber around your way.

In the meantime, I would consider using antibiotic eyedrops.

With ducks, they need extra niacin. Do other waterfowl have that need? In ducks, if a duckling is limping, often giving niacin or a B Complex (100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of drinking water) makes a huge difference within days.

3. lucysducks11

Apr 9, 2016
    I'm actually going to school to be a wildlife rehabilitator but I'm still learning everything. Thank you so much for the advice!!!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Another think with ducks is letting them swim in some lukewarm water - under close supervision - I feel it cheers them up, and it gives them some exercise and improves circulation, and takes weight off of weak legs. Gives you a chance to observe them, too.

Just be sure to dry off and return to a warm enough brooder.

I know this is a gosling, I just want to emphasize my waterfowl experience has been limited to ducklings and ducks.

5. lucysducks11

Apr 9, 2016
    My experience has also been with wild mallards which I have rehabilitated and released. This is my first experience with a baby goose. By far the most rewarding because this is the sweetest baby !!! I really want it to get better so I can release it back to its parents..

6. lucysducks11

Apr 9, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Cloudy eyes can be a sign of dehydration or infection.

I thought this was helpful
    [​IMG]

http://redcreekwildlifecenter.com/wcc.pdf

% of Dehydration Clinical Signs in Birds and Reptiles

< 5%

• Not detectable

5% - 6%

• Subtle loss of skin elasticity
    • Tenting of skin

7% - 10%

• Loss of brightness around eyes
    • Slow upper eye-lid turgor
    • Dry, ropy mucous membranes
    • Thick, pasty urates.

10% - 12%

• Tented skin stands in place
    • Muddy color to scales of feet, cool extremities
    • Dry mucous membranes
    • Rapid heart rate Depressed
    • No urates at all

12% - 15%

• Definite signs of shock, extreme depression
    • Near death

Source: http://www.ncwildliferehab.org/conf2012/Handouts/FluidTherapy

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you think it has an infection, you might want to start it on some Baytril.

-Kathy

9. Espier1

Espier1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    Southern Oregon Coast
    The limp may be due to niacin deficiency which I think was mentioned. There was a thread on here for niacin treatment for ducklings and the amounts needed, but you an also sprinkle the food with brewers yeast (you can get it at a health food store); I would search this page for niacin deficiency and ducklings. Im not sure about treating for the eye infection. Keep her warm and keep us updated!

10. lucysducks11

Apr 9, 2016
    I put eye ointment and have been giving her (I named her Penelope because she is so sweet) antibiotics and she's better everyday. Still won't walk :( so I'm making a support sling to hold her body and will begin working with her tomorrow so she doesn't lose muscle memory. I'm falling in love with this gosling and will do what I can to get her better thanks so much for all the advice. I'm also starting niacin tonight so fingers crossed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by