Very sick baby! Help please??!!

Birdmom2020

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Yadkin river area NC
My hubby just went and got a few new babies. I know tractor supply isnt proper but thats all we have here. This baby is very lethargic and cant walk. It poops okay but it will not eat or drink. What can i do?? I think shes just starving and i dont know how to feed or what to feed. Ive heard some people say baby cereal but i dont want to unless i know its absolutely okay. Please please help me!

Hydration is most important, get some fluids in. If you have some Sav-a-chick electrolites that's good. I hold the chick in my hand with the point of the beak resting in the crease where my finger bends. Drip the electrolite water, or plain water, down the crease of your finger so it runs to the beak, the chick will usually swallow it. Go slow, but give it as much as it will take, let it rest and then repeat in 20 -30 minute intervals. I usually alternate electrolite water and plain water. Hopefully it will start to perk up some once you get some fluids in. Also make sure it is warm enough.
Did you just get these chicks, how old? Could be shipping/transport stress.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-chicks-to-survive-hope-it-is-helpful.367608/

Hydration is most important, get some fluids in. If you have some Sav-a-chick electrolites that's good. I hold the chick in my hand with the point of the beak resting in the crease where my finger bends. Drip the electrolite water, or plain water, down the crease of your finger so it runs to the beak, the chick will usually swallow it. Go slow, but give it as much as it will take, let it rest and then repeat in 20 -30 minute intervals. I usually alternate electrolite water and plain water. Hopefully it will start to perk up some once you get some fluids in. Also make sure it is warm enough.
Did you just get these chicks, how old? Could be shipping/transport stress.

Agreed 100%. Electrolytes & vitamins for day-old chicks will see to and resolve alot of things in weakened chicks. If you don't have electrolytes on hand, use a raw egg yolk (the yellow part only, target farmer eggs rather than commercial eggs as they're much fresher) with a syringe and hand-feed your chick that way every 2-3 hours until you can get your hands on a vitamin sachet. That should sustain your peep until you're ready to start it on electrolytes.

We just got them today. They said theyre 3 days old. I dont have any save a chick. I havent seen any other symptoms. I dont think its making it. It keeps falling on its back now and wont get up at all. 😞

Back
Top Bottom