1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very Sick Bantam Hen, weight loss & breahting heavily

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by S&S, Mar 3, 2009.

1. S&S

S&S New Egg

Mar 1, 2009
    I have a very sick 2 year old bantam hen that I have tried everything for & can't seem to help. She has lost a lot of weight, is breathing very hard & is always sleeping. I have her in the house to keep warm & I have fed her everything from eggs to liver with flax seed oil, which she ate a lot of last night but is looking worse this morning. I also found her some children liquid vitamins & put some in her water. Her stool is almost all white now, with very little green even though she had been eating pretty well up until today. Her rectum/bottom is looking very red too, more on the inside then on the outside.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Thank you, S&S.

2. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    S&S, I'm sorry you have a sick chick, I am going through the same thing right now with one living in my kitchen...see thread, . Sounds similar to my chicken and maybe some of the advice posted about my problem will help you with yours. Although mine does not have the breathing problems. What about her egg laying...has it stopped? Can you feel any hard masses in her abdomen. Is her bottom area prolapsed? I hope someone can answer you in more detail and perhaps you can post a little more about her soon and give us an update.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=138126

3. S&S

S&S New Egg

Mar 1, 2009
    Thank you so much for the reply & the helpful links. She has been able to walk fine until a bit ago, probably because of just being so week. Her bottom isn't prolapsed, just very red towards the inside. That just started yesterday, other then that she had been looking fine. I don't know if it was anything I gave her but it was all helpful foods, yogurt, fruit, liver, eggs. I have had her on antibiotics for a while too. Her breathing is getting more & more shallow, I am not even sure if she will make it the night. I feel so bad for her & I am sure her sister has no idea what has happened.

Thank you again, S&S

4. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    How is your hen today? I hope she is better. I'll look for an update later from you...

5. 6chickens

6chickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2007
    hiya. I have nearly the same think with my silkie bantam. She is breathing fine tho.
    I went to the visit the vet and he has said that she may have an infection and a course of antibiotics should be ok (howevermine hasnt been able to walk or sit up on her own for 3 days) but mareks still shouldnt be ruled out in my case

Take her to a vet or ask someone here if they have some antibiotics and see where you go from there.

My silkie who is sick is the head hen and its deverstating seeing her this week. She cant even hold her head up!

Good luck anyway!

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Pasty offwhite diarrhea? Is she pale? Are there lumps in her body? Could be kidney failure. I've had two birds die from kidney failure because of tumors caused by Marek's Disease. If it is Marek's Disease, these symptoms are not treatable and she should be put down.

OR

It could be Gleet. Symptoms: Depression, pasty white diarrhea, rough red or white skin around the vent (burns), acid or urine-like smell. It's not curable but the symptoms can be treated. Give her half a pill of Motrin 200mg. Though birds with Gleet don't usually decline in health that much.

How quickly did these symptoms come on?

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like she will make it. Labored breathing and sleepiness isn't a good sign. Just as a warning, in case she does die and you happen to be there, it is not uncommon for chickens to kick and shake and spaz in their final moments. They're not in any pain or distress at this point, I don't think they're even concious. It's pretty terrible to watch though, just thought I'd let you know in case that happens. No need to panic more if you know she's going. I'm so sorry this is happening to your birdy.

7. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    How to they get gleet? contagious?

8. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:I'm not 100% sure, but I think there are two forms: a viral contagious form that is only spread when chickens mate (possibly only transmitable when the bird exhibits symptoms, just like human herpes), and a genetic form that is not contagious. Either way, it doesn't spread very easily. I have two birds with it that have lived with other birds for 2 years, and they haven't spread it. I'll look more into this. It's pretty common in comercial laying operations.

9. S&S

S&S New Egg

Mar 1, 2009
    I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help & suggestions for my two girls. My sick bantam unfortunately did not make it, I feel better knowing that everything was done for her that could have been tried & she was as comfortable as possible during it all. The sister is actually doing very well & hopefully one day we will look at getting her another friend to bond with. Thank you again for all of your help! S&S

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by