Very sick bantam hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laureenj, Oct 19, 2011.

1. laureenj

laureenj New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    I have a 6 month old bantam hen. She is extremely social, sweet, and well adjusted. She laid her 2nd egg last week. About 3 days afterward, she began to act differently. In the last 3 days she has changed drastically. She is uninterested in food. Doesnt seem egg bound. No lice evident. Very wobbly on her legs. Doesn't walk around much and is very sleepy. She slept in my lap for 30 mins last night. Her poo isn't bloody, but today it was very runny, white with a little green, somewhat gel-ish and had a strong smell. She has been on antibiotics since yesterday (mixed into her water) and I started her on a Rickets diet yesterday, but she really won't eat much. I am afraid I am going to lose her! Not sure what else to do! And of all things, a cold front is moving in tonight and I think I need to keep her warm. Temps will be in the low 50's. Any suggestions will be so very much appreciated!! Thank you!

2. laureenj

laureenj New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    ALso, she shows no signs of respiratory distress and her comb looks shriveled and dark. Thank you for any help you can give me!

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Bring her in, keep her warm, give her electrolytes, pedialyte water would work, and maybe some vitamins, feed her a mash of scrambled eggs and feed...

4. laureenj

laureenj New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    Thank you.....I now see that she is straining her neck as if something is stuck. She stands alot and is very sleepy. Could she have sour crop possibly? And if so, should I withhold food (she isn't very interested in eating at all). Thanks again.

5. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    I suggest you cull her incase she has a disease that can spread through out your flock. just keep her in confinement in i safe warmish place.

To me it sounds like she is egg bound.

To treat an egg bound chicken you should put her in a wire cage with steam coming up from the bottom of the cage, but not to hot or you will burn her. keep a heet lamp over her to make the heat more even on the bird. If you keep the temperature between 90 and 100 deegres the egg will pass with in a few hours.

If she is crop bound or if she has sour crop here is a good treat ment for her, flush her crops with saline or even plain water.

god luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by