Very sick brahma .. Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BuffOrp82, Mar 24, 2015.

1. BuffOrp82

BuffOrp82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    My 9 month old buff brahma never left the roost this morning. She stayed in the coop while the rest of the flock went out to free range. She has slept all day and seems very lethargic. I checked her over and I see no sign of injury. I checked for egg bound and mites .. Her eyes and nose are clear too. Her crop is empty and soft .. She won't eat or drink even when I tried to temp her with her favorite snacks. I have her seperated in a hospital coop with fresh food and water and heat ..

My outdoor cats who share the barn with my chickens had worms recently but the vet said it was doubtful that the chickens contracted it

Any other ideas???

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can she stand or walk if you lift her up? Sometimes we don't find out what is wrong until we do a necropsy after death. So many problems can be hidden, such as a blockage of the gizzard or internal problem. Check her for lice and mites on her skin, feel of her breastbone for signs of weight loss, andcheck her abdomen for bloating or swelling. Watch her droppings, and try to get her to take fluids and some egg or moistened food. Your vet could check a stool sample for worms, coccidia, and bacteria.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  3. BuffOrp82

BuffOrp82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    If I stand her up she will stand for a moment or two then lay back down .. no sign of lice or mites on her .. I'm trying to get some liquids in her with a dropper ..

Heading to tractor supply first thing to get a antibiotic in case it's bacterial .. and maybe some valbazen in case she does have worms .. She hasn't left any droppings for me to examine though ..

She's a special girl, I'd hate to lose her :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by