very sick chick - please help a.s.a.p.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xingxang, Jun 24, 2011.

1. xingxang

xingxang New Egg

Apr 11, 2011
    hi
    I have a little chick who is about 10 days old. all has been fine and the others are fine. Today I find the little thing unable to hold it's head up,
    doing roly-poly's(!!), can't open eyes much and does not seem to be eating or drinking. very weak and just folds head under itself to sleep and if standing will then just
    got into a forward roll. seems to stand fine, when it stands. have no idea what is wrong and am desperate!

2. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    force its beak into water and after that put it in the food bowl im not sure but i think that will help [​IMG]

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have heard about this before on BYC and I believe your chick may have wry neck. I don't know much about it though. I am sure someone with more experience will chime in.

Good luck!

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    It sounds like wry neck. You are going to need to get vitamins into it asap. Polyvisol without iron infant vitamin drops are sold at most pharmacies and grocery stores. (I'm assuming you are in the US) I am going to find more info and add it in a few minutes. Go ahead and get the vitamins if you can.

Give the chick 2 drops of the polyvisol (without iron). You should also offer Gatoraid (or similar drink) to rehydrate the chick. The sugar in it should give it a little boost of energy and stimulate appetite. Offer scrambled egg yolk mixed with yogurt (if you have yogurt). You will also need to feed unmedicated chick starter until the chick recovers (the amprolium in medicated feed blocks vitamin absorption).

Continue giving 2 drops of vitamins twice a day until symptoms are gone.

Good luck!!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by