Very sick chicken 911

DAKBAK

Hatching
Apr 14, 2021
Hi,
I'm a fairly new to raising chickens so bear with me. Our 4 year old rhode island red was completely fine this morning. This afternoon I noticed she was laying down in a corner of our yard and didn't get up when I came out with some meal worms. Tried to coax her but she wouldn't move. I got her into the coop but became increasingly become worse. Her comb turned pale, which was healthy and normal looking 24 hours ago. I know this because I actually took a video of her yesterday. Within just a couple hours she won't walk, stand up, she's very lethargic and her breathing is wheezing. We brought her inside but I feel like she's not going to make it considering how rapid her decline has been. I have not idea what's wrong! I checked for mites, lice etc, I can't tell if she's egg bound. The flock (3 others) all get along, no recent stressful situations.....Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

CapricornFarm

Chicken addict
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 1, 2010
Southern Virginia
Hi,
I'm a fairly new to raising chickens so bear with me. Our 4 year old rhode island red was completely fine this morning. This afternoon I noticed she was laying down in a corner of our yard and didn't get up when I came out with some meal worms. Tried to coax her but she wouldn't move. I got her into the coop but became increasingly become worse. Her comb turned pale, which was healthy and normal looking 24 hours ago. I know this because I actually took a video of her yesterday. Within just a couple hours she won't walk, stand up, she's very lethargic and her breathing is wheezing. We brought her inside but I feel like she's not going to make it considering how rapid her decline has been. I have not idea what's wrong! I checked for mites, lice etc, I can't tell if she's egg bound. The flock (3 others) all get along, no recent stressful situations.....Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
It sounds like a respiratory problem. I would provide extra warmth even though she's inside. And I always offer high protein foods like egg or canned fish to tempt them to eat. Keep a close eye on the others. This can be very serious and if you can consult a vet that would be helpful. Nutridrench and or vitamin supplements for poultry may help.

I had one that turned quick like that last year. I started her on Sulpha antibiotics and started hydrating her every 2 hours. That was key to keeping her alive until the antibiotics should start to work. Hydration is key. Vitamins are nice, don't worry too much about food until she starts to perk up from the hydration and antibiotics. If you don't have any antibiotics you will need a vet to prescribe something or you can try VetRX or other natural alternatives.

Myrshine

Songster
May 30, 2020
USA
Wheezing isn’t always disease related, but it can be other serious things such as heart issues, an obstruction or from being egg bound. Have you checked inside her mouth to make sure there’s no blockages? How old is she? Does she currently lay? If so, when was the last time she laid an egg?

Top Bottom