Very sick chicken! Help :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zivaC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. zivaC

zivaC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and came across this because one of my hens is very ill :( and I don't know what's wrong but I fear the worst.... She's a 2 year old Isa Brown (named Fluffy) and recently she's been walking a bit funny and she hasn't been laying very much since she started to moly (she's gone pretty bald on her head). Today, when I let my chickens out of the coop, she didnt come out as enthusiastically as she normally would and she has her feathers all fluffed up and she's walking a bit funny. She's also pooping a yellowish coloured poop, and she's panting :( I gave her a warm water bath in case she's egg bound. I also put some calcium carbonate in her water.
    I put her in a box on her own away from the rest of her sisters in case it's a disease she can spread. She's now panting quite a bit and really sleepy and she won't eat, even though I tried to make her eat. She drank a bit of water but now not so much. She's just standing in the corner of the box and panting. I put her some broad spectrum antibiotic in case it's some sort of an infection. What else can I do to help her? :( I'm so sad, she is my favourite hen of all and id be so sad if I lost her :(

2. zivaC

zivaC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

That's fluffy now :(

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Do you know when she last laid an egg? If she has started her molt, she may not be laying. If you think she is egg bound, you can put on a rubber glove, lubricate a finger and stick it inside the vent an inch or two and feel for an egg. She needs the calcium all at once if she is egg bound--A Tums broken or crushed, or an adult calcium tablet by mouth. Is she completely dry from her bath? She might need to stay inside tonight. Internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis can happen at her age, and sometimes they will walk funny. With those, they will sometimes have yolk like stools.

4. Chicken-Man

Chicken-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    your head.... ~(*.*)~
    [​IMG]

5. Chicken-Man

Jan 8, 2014
    your head.... ~(*.*)~
    [​IMG]Hope she gets better soon, will pray

6. zivaC

zivaC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome you guys!

I had a bottle of calcium syrup that the vet gave me a few months ago but when I looked at it today to give it to her, it had an expiry back in August last year :( would it be bad to give it to her if I'm desperate? The only other calcium I have is in the form of a calcium carbonate powder :/
    I feared it could be egg peritonitis coz of her yellowish poop, I will take her to the vet tomorrow if she makes it through :/
    She hasn't completely dried from her bath, I tried to dry her but she wouldn't let me. I've kept her indoors in her own box. Should I syringe some antibiotic into her beak?

7. zivaC

zivaC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    Sorry I forgot to answer your question about when she last laid an egg - it's been a while since she laid so it's def been a good few weeks since she started losing her feathers. But when she used to lay, sometimes her egg shell was quite weak and she'd break it and eat the egg

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, I would use the expired calcium, but since she isn't laying, she doesn't need it. If she had thin shells, she may have had an egg break inside before. That is a set-up for getting EYP. Antibiotics can be given for it, and they might give her some time. Your vet can probably prescribe some good AB's. Good luck to you and your hen.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Chicken-Man

Jan 8, 2014
    your head.... ~(*.*)~
    [​IMG]
    Hello. this is a friends silkie cock. Anyone know what is wrong with his eye???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Does he need the cull???

10. nuttinfancy

nuttinfancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Ambrose, GA
    You may want to start your own thread if you don't get a lot of replies in this one. Sometimes they get overlooked because they have already been replied to.
    I had a hen with an eye like that and it was Conjunctivitis. She also had Sinusitis and MS (Mycroplasma Synoviae). I had planned to cull her because she became blind from the disease(s) but she died on her own even with antibiotics. It is hard to say what it could be without a vet having a look. If you do cull, or if he dies, you may want to get a necropsy done to find out, as MS can affect the whole flock and any new birds you get will eventually get it.
    If you want to treat him, try to find antibiotics- Tylan, Duramycin-10, there are several that may help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by