Very sick chicken! Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wyllyschickens, Feb 5, 2015.

1. wyllyschickens

wyllyschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    my chicken honey, (buff orp) was acting lethargic all day so I took her inside to separate her from the rest of the flock and help her warm up a bit... By about 4:30 she really wasn't looking good. She didn't have runny poop or anything just really sleepy. At 5pm she laid an egg with no shell. And then abot 15 minutes later she laid another one with no shell and basically was passing out. I have put her in a dark quiet room in a dog crate until I can get some thoughts on what to do! I'm so worried about her. The day before yesterday she had a shell-less egg but then yesterday she had a normal one. Help!!!!! Am I going to lose honey? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you give her a calcium tablet, a Tums, or another form of calcium to swallow now? She may be suffering from some sort of glitch in her laying with multiple eggs backed up. It's good that you have brought her in to observe her closely, and I would probably place in a spare bath if possible and turn on the shower to make the air warm and moist, in case she is egg bound. You an feel inside her vent 1-2 inches for another egg. If you have some electrolytes to put in her water, and encourage her to drink, I would try to get her hydrated.

3. wyllyschickens

Apr 25, 2014
    Thank you thank you for replying. I am scared that if I'm too rough on her abdomen that it will burst the already soft shelled egg inside. Also, I have put electrolytes in her water but she isn't drinking. I have tums and I can try that now
    Thank you. I hope it isn't egg peritonitis. I'm so upset.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Casportpony and others on here have had more experience with egg binding and other reproductive issues than I have, and may be of more help. How old is your hen?

5. wyllyschickens

Apr 25, 2014
    She is 7 months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by