very sick chicken - is she eggbound?? or is it more??? PLEASE HELP ...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by new_chick, Jan 22, 2009.

1. new_chick

new_chick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    hi everyone...

well for those of you that read my posts while i was waiting for my chicks to hatch and growing up - they are doing well!! all 5 - 3 hens 2 cocks....are FAB! and SO friendly!!

however - my problem lies with one of my 2 older hens/..

shes about 6 years old now! so an old lady - and hasnt laid an ages for AGES (as in at least 6 months i should think) - so i decided she must be too old....
    however....this hen has had a couple of funny turns in the past and looked a bit peaky - red bit on her head went purple and very lethargic....then after some nursing...she picks up and is fine...
    however....she has over the last few weeks - although looking fine in herself- started to look very wide and sqaut....and then monday she looked awful and didnt want to get up so i popped her in a washing basket full of hay and bought her into my house for the night....
    when i checked her over - i picked her up and noticed she felt really swollen and heavy - and her abdomen seems rather hot and very swollen/fat.....
    she hasnt wanted to get out of the basket since.... shes eating and drinking well but i popped her on the floor today whilst i changed her bedding and she didnt look like she could walk very well at all??? probably due to the swollen belly???
    is this egg bound?? i have been told to give her a warm bath to try and help relax her...is this right???
    any advice - input would be great.....

thanks!!!!!!!

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Warm baths help. Check her vent too. See is there is discharge.

3. new_chick

Nov 3, 2008
    i will have to wash her before i can check her vent...as she's covered in poo...she has still been going to the toilet and eating and drinking...but not much else - but seems quite bright in her self.....will pop her in a bath in a minute...
    thanks for the advice

4. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Does her belly feel firm or like it's filled with water?

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If she was laying previous and stopped, she could be laying internally. Your description of the belly sounds like it.

6. new_chick

Nov 3, 2008
    her belly feels like a waterballoon filled to bursting - its tight but does feel watery?? (i dont really know what im feeling for!)
    i have bathed her and blow dried her - both of which she enjoyed!!
    but no change - other than a cleaner chicken!! i had a look at her bottom and it looks sort of swollen around the area (not the actual duct itself) and there was clear fluid coming out when i looks - she does make the odd squeak/sigh/grunt when she moves around - but itsn't really moving around any more that she has to!....

7. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by