Very Sick Chicken!!!! Others Getting Sick!!!!!!!please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mlbaylin, Jul 7, 2011.

1. mlbaylin

mlbaylin New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    Hello All!
    I received 6 chicks for mothers day--we just bought a small farm and I have always wanted to raise chickens soley for the eggs--not too eat! Everything was going great until 3 weeks ago. I thought my leghorn fell into the pond bc I came outside and she was on the edge all wet...I thought nothing of it until the next day (keep in mine we found a dead animal in it a week or two before and havent had time to drain and clean it out). So that next day my poor little alex was acting strange--neck cocked to the side (kinda like she fractured it the way she was holding it). Then the not eating and drinking began until a few days later when she couldnt even stand. Needless to say I took her to the vet and had her put down. Literally as soon as I got back from the vet my other leghorn started distancing herself from the flock---she was once super hard to catch and now was letting me hold her and would fall alseep in my arms. Now it has gotten to the point where she cannot stand bc her feet look almost atrophied. She is still eating and I have also had all the chickens on tetracycline for about a week. She just doesnt seem to be improving. AND on top of everything my little Avery is now acting depressed and not growing the way the other healthy three are. She stands but doesnt want to open her eyes!!! Should I be putting both Ava and Avery down? What the heck is going on with my babies!!??? Any suggestions or comments would be amazing!! Thank you!!

2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

The usual answers to these questions seem to be Mareks or Coccidiosis but I have no experience with either. Hopefully someone who has will respond.

3. mlbaylin

mlbaylin New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    Thank you! I am going to google those diseases!

4. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    there is a thread on here about using hypericum (an herb) to treat mareks. this sound like what you have.

5. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    I'm so sorry!
    chickens as lovable and fun as they are, can be a big pain when it comes to desease.
    my chick recently deid from one of the two deseases
    as to your chicks i am leaning towards coccidiosis.
    i have a feeling they are two far along to help them.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Mareks isnt treatable:( yes you can treat it to prevent with vaccines but once a chicken has it it will always be a carrier if it survives-They cannot pass it on through their laying eggs though. It comes from the feather folicles shedding and other birds being around it.

Have you researched botulism????

7. mlbaylin

mlbaylin New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    P.S I checked out those diseases and they don't really sound like my girls:/ They don't have bloody stools--the sick ones stools have been almost watery.

8. mlbaylin

mlbaylin New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    O.K, So I found a better site and I think I am leaning towards the Coccidiosis as the diagnosis. So now that that seems to be the verdict what should I do now? Any treatments or is it too late? And god forbid if it is too late how should I handle the putting them down part?

(P.S This is my very first time blogging and ya'll are so cool and amazing for reading/responding!! Means so much too me!!!)

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Theres alot of coccidiostats out there to buy..Sulmet is one off the top of my head..TSC has it and other ones too..It goes in their drinking water.

10. mlbaylin

mlbaylin New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    Thank you soooo much! I will be at TSC tomorrow!! I def have piece of mind now!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by