Very sick chicken! Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GertieChick, Jan 8, 2017.

1. GertieChick

GertieChick New Egg

May 18, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is a pic of my girl. She is wheezing and her eyes are swollen shut. I've been giving her Sulmet, flushing out her eyes with saline and applying tripple antibiotic ointment for several days. No improvement. I don't understand what's happening with her. Her appetite is pretty good. I've been supplementing with yogurt, scrambled eggs, fresh greens. But she can barely see to eat. Any help is much appreciated!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sulmet will work for coryza, but you may be dealing with something else here. Is there a foul smell coming from her, particularly from her nasal disharge? If not, I would start treating for mycoplasma. Tylan is a good bet, because it treats both coryza and mycoplasma. Tetracycline will work for just mycoplasma as will Denagard.

The trouble you're going to run into here is that a law just passed that prohibits the sale of a lot of medicine that goes in water OTC. Tetracycline and Tylan are some of the meds affected. You may still be able to get injectable Tylan OTC but for the rest you will need to go to a vet. Denagard is still available to purchase OTC as it is not affected by the new law.

It could also be some sort of virus, like infectious bronchitis, that just needs to pass on its own. If that's the case, antibiotics are not going to help.

Please note that if it is coryza or mycoplasma, she is going to carry it for the rest of her life and pass it to other birds that she comes into contact with.

3. GertieChick

GertieChick New Egg

May 18, 2016
    Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure if you can tell from the pic but there are some lumpy growths involved with the swelling. A couple above/below her eye and one on the top of her beak. Does this help give a more definitive diagnosis?
    Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by