Very Sick Chicken Please help

want2know

Songster
5 Years
Dec 25, 2018
Hill Country Texas
One of my chickens suddenly died 3 days ago, there were no signs of illness, she was only 1 1/2 years old. This morning I went down to let the others out of their coop and one of the older - 4 years old, Barred Rock, has suddenly taken ill, drooping wings, labored breathing, keeps closing her eyes, bobbing her head as she breathes, trouble moving, seems paralyzed. She made it out of the coop, but has deteriorated since. She's hanging in there. Any thoughts?
20201015_091126.jpg

Last edited:
One of my chickens suddenly died 3 days ago, there were no signs of illness, she was only 1 1/2 years old. This morning I went down to let the others out of their coop and one of the older - 4 years old, Barred Rock, has suddenly taken ill, drooping wings, labored breathing, keeps closing her eyes, bobbing her head as she breathes, trouble moving, seems paralyzed. She made it out of the coop, but has deteriorated since. She's hanging in there. Any thoughts?View attachment 2374098

Oh, the poor girl! Sorry, I wish I knew more about that kind of thing.

How awful. It's terrible having chickens sicken and die so suddenly, and you have no clue what's causing it. It requires some serious investigation, and the lives of your remaining flock may depend on finding the cause.

I've dealt with chickens dying from exposure to petroleum distillates, and that is what the symptoms your chicken is displaying reminds me of. Of course, it could be coccidiosis, an avian virus suddenly causing these chickens to become symptomatic, or one of the Clostridium bacterial infections. It's our task to try to narrow it down so we can hopefully prevent you losing more chickens.

I have questions that can maybe help us with clues if you can answer them. Do you have any yard machines leaking fluids onto the ground where your chickens like to hang out?

How about any recent painting, cleaning brushes with thinner?

Insecticide use?

How about car maintenance? Cooling system flushing or oil changes where some has spilled onto the ground were the chickens have been?

Clostridium. How about compost piles where there may be moldy or rotten veggies and fruit tossed. Perhaps the chickens have been digging quite deep and uncovered some rank, decaying material?

Coccidiosis. Has it been warm, wet, and humid? Have you imported any soil or borrowed any garden implements from someone from another locale? Has anyone visited your place that is from another locale that is always working in the soil, gardening or excavating wearing their work boots to your place?

Feed. Is it fresh? Has any become damp? Have your checked the feeders for mold?

There is a clue or two in there somewhere. Maybe a light will come on and you can give it to us.

I have an idea, may be poisoned from compost pile, I was babysitting my granddaughters dog and so did not let them out of their run , but they did did have access to the compost pile and so were spending alot of time in there. There are coffee grounds in there, and I have read that coffee can be toxic to chickens?

Back
Top Bottom