Very sick chicken with foamy eyes, help! (Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jrleek, Aug 19, 2011.

1. jrleek

jrleek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    I bought 4 pullets about a month ago. The rest are pretty healthy, but one has developed some disease. She spends a lot of time standing around with her head under her wing, and her eyes have been foamy. They look MUCH worse today vs yesterday. She obviously can't see very well, and is slow. She chirps a lot, perhaps trying to find the others? Anyway, I looked up diseases and they all have this symptom, so I'm not sure what to do.

Please take a look at give suggestions:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks
    Jim

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Foamy eyes is a symptom of CRD ( chronic Respiratory Disease) and is not curable. It can be treated with Tylan, Erythomycin, gallimycin. It can spread to the others slowly. [​IMG]

3. jrleek

Aug 19, 2011
    Darn, I just noticed one of the other chickens coughing and foaming a bit at the beak.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I'm so sorry, sounds like you will need to treat the others as well. Right away [​IMG]

5. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    [​IMG]

Make sure you separate any sick chickens from the others and keep everything separated that you use on or around them so as not to cross contaminate and spread to your other chickens. I'd wear latex/plastic disposable gloves and change after each bird you treat.

Clean her eyes with eye wash and use an antibiotic Opthalmic ointment in them such as Terramycin or triple antibiotic. You'll need to do this 2 to 3 times daily. Don't touch tube to eyes and you can clean around her eyes with diluted Betadine Solution. Make it look like weak tea and that should be fine. Get all the drainage off and you can also put Vaseline underneath and around her eyes to keep drainage from setting up a secondary bacterial infection where it irritates her skin.
    They also came out with Vetericyn Eye Wash and that would work great too.

She can have CRD like KidCody said, or several other diseases that have same symptoms, but if there's another one starting coughing, you'll have to medicate them all to get it cleared up.

Give them some Nutri Poultry Drench to keep immune systems strong, and also wouldn't hurt to rub Poultry RX on combs and wattles.

Keep us updated and I sure hope they get better for you.

6. jrleek

Aug 19, 2011
    Do you know if they can still spread it if treated? My adult hens are separated, and seem healthy. But if all the new pullets may spread it to them, I would consider just getting rid of all of the pullets.

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Give them Tylan 50 ASAP! its injectable, but you don't have to inject it, just make sure you get a syringe with the Tylan 50, put 3 drops of it in a piece of bread and give it to her, repeat for each hen

8. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    It will spread if they've been exposed to the sick pullets. It may or may not be CRD and you're sort of shooting in the dark treating with antibiotics without knowing exactly what they have but that's a personal decision.

Once they have CRD they will always be carriers from what I've understood.

If you decide to cull the pullets, just make sure you don't put any other well ones where these were.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Foamy eyes are not always CRD, but in this case, it really does appear to be, from the looks of how bad it is and how it's spreading. They will all be carriers if you treat them, if it is indeed CRD. I'm not a vet and I'm not officially diagnosing them, but that doesn't look good at all to me.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. This summer has been so brutal for many of us with our birds in various ways. For the first time ever, I had to deal with a fungal infection with several older and compromised (molting, internally laying, etc) birds who were having trouble with the heat and humidity, specifically brought on by the extended high heat index that my birds have never seen before, plus other factors, but Oxine cleared that up, thank goodness. Fungal stuff, at least, isn't contagious bird to bird, like CRD/Mycoplasmosis is.

10. jrleek

Aug 19, 2011
    Well, I culled the two obviously sick pullets this morning, and am giving tetravet to the other 2 pullets and 4 hens. Hopefully that will be all the losses. I suppose I have to disinfect the whole coop area, and also keep the pullets and hens separate. I suppose this also means that I shouldn't get any new chickens until I've gotten rid of all the carriers? Well, that's probably a few years off anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by