Very sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamagg, Aug 24, 2019.

1. mamagg

mamagg Chirping

Jan 19, 2013
    SO, my hen is over 7 years old and I am assuming she is on her way out - I like to call it "home". ANYWAY she has lice (yes I treated her), hasn't eaten for over 4 days, hasn't walked for over 4 days, etc. I give her water every 4 hours or so by syringe, but she has never changed. I do not have an axe or way to end her. I am afraid of how much pain she is in. I am thinking I will head out and buy an axe - should be something every chicken owner owns.... Any help?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    micstrachan and Chris-n-Kate like this.
  3. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

So sorry about your hen. She may need to be euthanized, but have you examined her? Is her abdomen full of fluid? Is her crop emptying overnight? Is it safe to assume it’s been a few years since she laid an egg?

4. mamagg

mamagg Chirping

Jan 19, 2013
    Thank you everyone. You have assumed correctly - she has not laid for over a year, maybe longer. Her crop was FULL! It emptied out a bit with me adding water and massaging. I had her on "liquid drench" (not sure if that is the exact name) I had her quarantined in her own pen and there was no poop on the floor - ever (for 6 days!) She was a pet♥ My husband helped me send her home yesterday. She never walked, ate, etc after Monday. I am just too sad... Thank you all for carring♥

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: