Very sick dog. Can you help me interperate these symptoms?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by carolinagirl58, Sep 20, 2011.

1. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Bailey is a 72 pound spayed female pit bull, 6 years old. Bailey did go to the vet yesterday and he put her on antibiotics and ran some blood work. He does not know what's wrong and said to bring her back Thursday if she has not improved. So we will do that, but in the mean time I am so worried about her. Bailey was perfectly fine Sunday morning and by sunday evening she was not acting herself. we took her to the vet Monday morning. she is a house dog so we are very in tune what's normal for her. Here's her symptoms.

Blood work:
    proteins slightly elevated
    globulin slightly elevated
    White cell high side of normal

Symptoms:
    won't lay on side
    no vomiting
    no diarrhea (edit....normal stool Tuesday evening)
    very low appetite (can be enticed to eat if it's got gravy or something on it though)
    slight fever (according to vet)
    stands with head lower than body......does not want to raise it even parallel with body
    appears to stare off into space....almost like she is asleep standing up. possibly it hurts to lay down so she is reluctant to do so, but this is just a guess.
    gets excited and acts much better when her people come home, but quickly goes back to this "sick" behavior
    didn't get at all excited when the word "squirrel" was mentioned, and this usually puts her into a highly excited state

As I think of more symptoms, I'll edit this.

In the last couple of months, Bailey has gained a good bit of weight. She has always been a very thickly built dog and is stocky so she often looked fat even if you could still feel her ribs. but lately I have noticed she looks even thicker, like she has internal fat. You can still feel her ribs but not quite as well.....there is more of a fat layer on top. She has been on a diet for a couple of weeks to try to get her a little thinner. She gets 1 cup of premium kibble with 3/4 cup green beans twice a day. She ate her breakfast this morning with some venison stew mixed in and a good bit of hot water so it had a nice meaty gravy on it.

So can someone please look at this and give me some ideas as to what's wrong with our beautiful Bailey? I am so afraid this may be very serious. bailey is such a strong stoic dog and for her to be acting this way really scares me. She would not act sick unless something is really, really off. Thanks so much. I am just so worried about our girl.

edit Saturday. This morning Bailey woke up with signs that it's her spine for sure. She is stumbling on her back legs, and her back end is wobbly. Her gait is off too. As upsetting as this is, at least we know what's wrong now and can begin proper treatment. So she is on steriods and pain killers for a while with very limited activity and no exercise. She should show some results by Monday.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a chance that Bailey has injured her ribs? Could she have fallen down the steps or something? Sometimes dogs just don't feel well and they are smart enough to take it easy. Saying a little prayer that she is back to normal soon. In the meantime, love her up a lot and keep an eye on her. If you see anymore swelling, call the vet.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I am sorry I have no idea. Prayers for you and Bailey. I pray the vet figures out what is wrong with her. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    get the vet to take some x-rays... is she spayed?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Several things to consider. Is she spayed? Does she play rough? Does she ever leave the area unsupervised? What you describe is pain of unknown origin. Could be her neck or spine, could be muscle spasms, could be pancreatitis, could be dental issue, could be picky gland impaction, could be foreign body ingestion, urinary tract infection, pyometra (if she's not spayed). With all the could-bes I'd take her back and get her radiographed and ask for pain medication.

6. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Thanks for the prayers and good wishes. This dog is my husband's baby. He has never bonded to an animal like he has this one. I edited my original post to say she is spayed. Bailey does play rough if she has someone to play with. But my other dogs won't play with her (they are chihuahuas) and I won't let her play with the Anatolian pups because she is way too rough for them. She has not left the area at all. She stays on the porch or in the house. There are only 2 steps up to the house and I am sure she didn't fall. We were home most of the day Sunday and she was fine in the morning.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If she won't hold her head high as she used to and doesn't want to lay down, her neck or back probably hurts - more likely, her neck.

8. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I would want an ultrasound of this dogs internal organs, today, and I mean like RIGHT NOW. I am suspicious she has some sort of enlargement internally. It could be her spleen. If so, removal of it may save her life. It sounds like she is in a lot of discomfort. Best of luck to you and her.

9. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Partial obstruction of the intestine. She is in pain. Xrays NOW!

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    even though she hasnt poo'd does she act like she is trying? My DD had a dog ate one of his rope toys. She had no idea he did this. He had an obstruction. They had to do surgery to remove it. I'd get an xray done asap. She could also have a slipped disc that could cause her not to want to lift her head or go poo cause either action would cause pain. You can give her apsirin for pain not tylenol or ibuprofen, but I think she still needs an xray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by