Very sick duck, just took her to the vet

ageewax

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 16, 2014
Laurel, MD
Hi all,

I am sharing this post I just put on my blog about my pet duck, named Goose. I finally bit the bullet and took her to the vet. Yes I understand that it is prohibitively expensive to take every sick member of our flock to the vet. But she's my only duck, and she is like a little puppy to me. I hope that maybe my post will help someone who is frantically searching the forums like I was for assistance.

https://ireallycantstay.wordpress.com/2016/05/25/lame-duck/

Thank you so much for sharing this about Goose. I can tell you love her very much. I am so happy for you that your already seeing improvement and I hope in the next few days she'll be in 100% Complete health with sweet duck noises.

Bless you for caring so much!!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I hope she continues to get better. Let us know how she does and god bless.

This type of situation is a learning experience for everyone involved. Humans are often embarrassed about taking a chicken/duck....etc because of the thought of what others think about doing such a thing. However, if one thinks about it many of the feline and canine pets that are going to the veterinarian were freebies. It's the emotional attachment which makes our pets so valuable. Many people believe that veterinarians know nothing about fowl diseases but medicine is medicine. Doing basic tests such as bloodwork, radiographs and fecals can help make a correct diagnosis and save money in the long-run. And believe you me the veterinary staff love chickens and ducks as many have used them in schools to learn how to handle birds correctly.

I'm so glad Goose is doing so well. And thank-you for taking her to the veterinarian.

I just wanted to give an update for anyone who might have a duck with similar symptoms. The tests all came back negative but there were signs of intestinal inflammation in addition to her neurological symptoms. We suspect botulism caused by ingesting mold. Here we are, three weeks later, and she is a happy, healthy duck with full control of her body, able to swim, run, and quack. She is living full time outside now and thrilled about it. We are in the process of making a feeding station designed to eliminate her access to food that she throws on the ground which would then get moldy. I'll post a picture after it is complete. I'm sure that the veterinary care and medicine they prescribed kept her alive.

Ducks are so messy! I knew that was the case but now realizing the health problems it can cause, I'm happy with my decision to house her separate from the chickens.

I just wanted to give an update for anyone who might have a duck with similar symptoms. The tests all came back negative but there were signs of intestinal inflammation in addition to her neurological symptoms. We suspect botulism caused by ingesting mold. Here we are, three weeks later, and she is a happy, healthy duck with full control of her body, able to swim, run, and quack. She is living full time outside now and thrilled about it. We are in the process of making a feeding station designed to eliminate her access to food that she throws on the ground which would then get moldy. I'll post a picture after it is complete. I'm sure that the veterinary care and medicine they prescribed kept her alive.

Ducks are so messy! I knew that was the case but now realizing the health problems it can cause, I'm happy with my decision to house her separate from the chickens.
Thanks so much for updating so happy to hear Goose is back to being healthy. I hope you do share with us your new feeding station because most of us could use the tips on keeping things less messy with the feed.

Thanks again.

I am so happy for you that she is doing better.
big_smile.png
She is a beautiful duck.

Back
Top Bottom