Very sick duck URGENT

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sarahmstarr, Mar 12, 2016.

1. sarahmstarr

sarahmstarr New Egg

Mar 12, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Very sick duck I dont know about ducks a biy brought him to me he was laying on side chirp crying not able to stand. I cleaned him off in water he still very unsturdy on feet trying to preen himself. Gave him fresh food and water.

2. murphyfarm

murphyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2016
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    It seems like he has a niacin deficiency. The treatment is Brewers Yeast or a niacin supplement. It helps the duckling develop stronger legs.

3. sarahmstarr

sarahmstarr New Egg

Mar 12, 2016
    How much and how do I give it to him. Hes standing again after a warm bath and good cleaning from what I seen the cage was soked so I think it got sick from poor environment. Its now drinking fresh water n I set up new cage. Poor baby

4. murphyfarm

murphyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2016
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    With brewers yeast you can just sprinkle it over their food. It's nearly impossible to overdose on brewers yeast. For niacin, you add it directly to their water (100 mg per gallon). I hope the poor baby gets better!!!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for taking him in. I don't know much about ducks except that they can have niacin deficiencies and when that is taken care of they are fine. If you want more specific duck information put "Duck thread" in the search box and it will pop up.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC! How is your duckling today?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by