VERY sick duck - YEA! she's fine this morning!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by L0rraine, Oct 13, 2009.

1. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    This morning everyone was fine. I went to run errands in the early afternoon and only counted six ducks, but saw one was in the pool by herself, but she appeared okay. When I returned 1 1/2 hours later she was hanging out with the other ducks and everyone seemed normal. Then, about an our ago, I went out and she was again alone in the pool and wouldn't come out and appeared quite lethargic. I lifted her out and set her down and she could barely stand up. She felt a little cold, so I brought her in and tried to warm her gently with a hair dryer. I've got her in a nest of straw and she seems to be having muscle spasms (her wings keep fluttering) but other than that she is moving around very little.

I've looked around to see if there is something toxic she could have gotten into, but I really don't see anything at all. We do have mushrooms that grow wild here, but I've always assumed that the ducks and chickens would know whether they should eat them or not - though I looked around and didn't see any mushrooms growing in the area either.

I'm quite worried, because she seems to be fluttering her eyes closed as if I could lose her at any minute and have NO idea what to do or not do. All the other ducks seem fine for the moment.

Any thoughts on what I should or shouldn't try to do?

Update - Lil' Blue survived the night and is looking back to normal, but will leave the post in case anyone else experiences something similar.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. L0rraine

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Well - there seems to be a bit more life in her now. And she actually was quacking some to protest my presence. When I tucked the others in a few minutes ago there was the first egg I've seen in a long time just outside one of the duck houses - is it wishful thinking on my part to think that might have had something to do with things? I'll keep her in tonight and hope for the best.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Maybe her oil gland is not working and she got cold in the water? I really don't know, I have actually never had a duck get sick.

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    maybe she was the one who laid the egg and had a bit of an issue laying it. Maybe she was almost egg bound and was in the water to keep cool. when they get egg bound they get all flustered and over heat. the water might have helped her relax too. Was the egg normal sized/shaped? could it be her egg?

5. L0rraine

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Nettie, I'm starting to think that you are right and her 'first' egg was just a little much for her. She is back to normal this morning and was anxious to join the other ducks. I'll keep an eye on her over the next few days, but assume that she'll be okay. Her name is Lil' Blue because she's on the small side and that egg was 'hummer'.

I had worried at first, like Becky, that she wasn't water-proofed, but before I 'warmed' her with the hairdryer, she seemed completely dry.

Thanks for your inputs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by