Very sick duck

whyducks

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
My lovely pet duck is very sick and I have no idea what is wrong. She is 9 maybe 10 year old Abacot Ranger. I found her just standing with her eyes closed and not moving, after half an hour she still hadn't moved. It was as though she was in a trance, I approached her and she still didn't move (unlike her) and then touched her and she still didn't move. Normally she would have run away. I picked her up and she wasn't limp, but didn't move. I couldn't see anything wrong with her, no injuries showing. I put her in the run and the other ducks rushed in and she just fell over. She then started dragging herself along the ground with her beak. I ran to get my husband and when we got back there was a large egg beside her. She has managed to get to the pond a couple of times two days ago, but since then she just sits in the bushes just nodding her head with her eyes closed or squinted, resting her beak on the ground. It is heart breaking to see her our local vet isn't any help at all as he doesn't know anything about ducks. Please can anyone help?
P.S I have three other ducks the same age and they are all fine.

My lovely pet duck is very sick and I have no idea what is wrong. She is 9 maybe 10 year old Abacot Ranger. I found her just standing with her eyes closed and not moving, after half an hour she still hadn't moved. It was as though she was in a trance, I approached her and she still didn't move (unlike her) and then touched her and she still didn't move. Normally she would have run away. I picked her up and she wasn't limp, but didn't move. I couldn't see anything wrong with her, no injuries showing. I put her in the run and the other ducks rushed in and she just fell over. She then started dragging herself along the ground with her beak. I ran to get my husband and when we got back there was a large egg beside her. She has managed to get to the pond a couple of times two days ago, but since then she just sits in the bushes just nodding her head with her eyes closed or squinted, resting her beak on the ground. It is heart breaking to see her our local vet isn't any help at all as he doesn't know anything about ducks. Please can anyone help?
P.S I have three other ducks the same age and they are all fine.
Welcome to BYC. You should bring her inside where it's warm and if possible, take her to a vet.

-Kathy

Thank you for replying, sadly she has just died after I posted this afternoon, so feeling very sad. But thank you anyway. x

Thank you for replying, sadly she has just died after I posted this afternoon, so feeling very sad. But thank you anyway. x
So sorry. Birds hide illness very well, so often the dying process has started once we find them. I those cases, *nothing* can be done, so don't beat yourself up.
hugs.gif
{{{{{ hugs }}}}}

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you very much and yes I am beating myself up about it. Do wish our local vets knew something about ducks, but I tried 3 and non of them knew anything. Thank you for being so understanding.x

Back
Top Bottom